• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

A heads up for those that use Chewy for pet food and other items ---

Petsmart is buying Chewy in a move to increase their on-line presence. I can't figure out how to add a link as I am on my phone, but just Google 'Petsmart buys Chewy ".

I worry about future changes. I guess I will continue to use them, but with a critical eye to any negative changes. Or -- I may change to Petflow (which several people say is similar to Chewy) or another online retailer. I haven't made up my mind yet, and I reserve the right to change my mind. LOL.

Anyone have another on-line retailer that they like?

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#2 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

That's disappointing. I always hate it when huge companies take over independents.

I've only used them once, but was very happy with the order I placed and the service at dog.com. https://www.dog.com/

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#3 highway61

highway61

• Registered Users
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

I've bought about five or six times from Chewy online and very satisfied each time. Every order I've gotten delivery the day after ordering and there is no charge (over $49) for shipping and no tax. But of course, if your local feed store stocks or can get everything you want and need at competitive prices, obviously that's the way to go.

I've found that my local Petcos and PetSmarts are waaaaaaay overpriced compared to online and even my local dog/cat stores that specialize in quality feeds beat them on price. And the quality feed stores have very friendly and helpful staff in addition to the points programs they have that you can redeem (your region probably has their own chains, I like http://allthebestpetcare.com/about/). But if I can't find what I need there I will usually find it at Chewy and as I mentioned, they are fast, easy and competitive.

#4 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

There is a Petco near me. Their prices are outrageous. I looked at jar of treats that costs $8.98 AT WALMART and it was about $15 at PetCo.

#5 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,737 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Bad news for me.  I won't buy from PetSmart because they sell birds & animals (rats, mice, chinchillas, hamsters, and various reptiles) in their stores. Even tropical fish are a problem there, since they use a big circulation system that in effect mixes the water from all the tanks on a wall together. If one tank has diseased fish, the "germs" go to all of the tanks on that wall.

http://www.dogster.c...-birds-and-more

I've never seen puppies or kittens for sale at PetSmart, but some do have both on display for adoption in partnership with local shelters.  My current cat came from there 10 years ago.  I had seen him online at the shelter website, but when I inquired about him they said he was at the PetSmart.  So I went there to get him.

While it sounds nice and touchy-feely that PetSmart is helping to adopt shelter pets, I doubt if it springs from any deep altruistic sense.  It's more like they know that people who adopt the animals will likely be taking home supplies as well, and in the future those people are likely to buy from those nice folks who "saved" Fluffy.

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#6 ramp

ramp

• Registered Users
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:She is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog.
    You are her life, her love, her leader.
    She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat
    of her heart.You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

I just bought for the first time, interesting.

#7 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,804 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

My much-loved, local supplier of pet food just closed her business. I was going to switch to Chewy as the other alternatives in my area are places I choose not to shop if I have a choice. This is not what I wanted to hear. 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#8 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Registered Users
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

I just started buying from Chewy, in large part because so many friends endorsed them highly, but also because they're a sponsor for the 2017 National Sheepdog Finals. Not pleased with this change. I may go back to buying from my local pet supply store - no live animals sold there, only excellent prices on top-brand items. (If it's so good, where's the downside? Oh, it requires that I plan ahead, as they often close by 6 PM - same as my local feed store, with similar prices).

#9 ramp

ramp

• Registered Users
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:She is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog.
    You are her life, her love, her leader.
    She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat
    of her heart.You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

I would support the local store over internet shopping but they didn't have what I wanted. I'll make sure to preorder the next time and support the local feed store.

#10 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

My local high-end pet food store is an extra 15 minutes beyond my routine area for errands. And they sell at 10%, 15% and 20% over Chewy prices. And I find the young female clerks vapid and not very knowledgeable. So will be trying other online retailers. Love getting deliveries right to my door.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#11 carolync

carolync

• Registered Users
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

I love Chewy.com. I'm sorry to hear this news. On one occasion they sent me multiples of an item I ordered one of, and when I reached out, they said i could keep them, and asked if I would donate them, which I did.

I've always been pleased with them.

#12 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

The rare time that I go into a Petsmart, I never buy anything.  Everything is so expensive.  I used Chewy quite a bit, as did my customers (they all loved how easy it was to have their Rx food sent out).  They once sent a defective dog bed and I had a refund literally within the hour of sending an email.  

Amazon can also have very similar or the exact same price on products as Chewy.  I still typically buy my cat food at the local feed store since they carry such a large variety at great prices.  I was shocked at the price they paid, over $3.3 billion. 

#13 Jumpin Boots

Jumpin Boots

• Registered Users
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Farming, sheep, gardening, agility, reining

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

See this link of Nutrisource that is pulling from Chewy due to the buy-out. Will be interesting to see if other pet food companies follow suite.

http://www.nutrisour...-com-statement/

Also, PetSmart is associated w/ HSUS, which has close ties to PETA; something to keep in mind if you choose to support them.

We've been ordering through Chewy and have been very please with the service and products, however, won't be ordering from them anymore.

#14 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

I buy my dog and cat food both at PetSmart, because they have a good quality grain free kibble (Simply Nourish Source) that is less pricey than many of the other grain-free kibbles both there and at other stores. I have compared ingredients exhaustively to other far more expensive brands and the Petsmart food comes out ahead for the price.  Both my dogs and my cat like the kibble, and seem to do very well on it.

I don't buy other things there for the most part unless they are on sale and hugely discounted, because they are an expensive store, but I don't know any reason to dislike PetSmart as much as other folks here say that they do.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#15 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

I buy my dog and cat food both at PetSmart, because they have a good quality grain free kibble (Simply Nourish Source) that is less pricey than many of the other grain-free kibbles both there and at other stores. I have compared ingredients exhaustively to other far more expensive brands and the Petsmart food comes out ahead for the price.  Both my dogs and my cat like the kibble, and seem to do very well on it.

I don't buy other things there for the most part unless they are on sale and hugely discounted, because they are an expensive store, but I don't know any reason to dislike PetSmart as much as other folks here say that they do.

I quickly looked up that food as I had never heard of it.  If you live near a Tractor Supply, their 4health grain free is a lot cheaper. 30lb for $38 vs $24lb for $45.  Not sure if the ingredients are quite the same but if you're looking to save money it might be worth checking out if you live near one.

I sometimes buy the 4health grain-free cat food and I know their prices for the dog version were always reasonable looking.

#16 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, Waffles. I will definitely go take a look at that food and compare the ingredients.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#17 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

For people looking for an alternative to Chewy, Pet Food Direct might be an option. https://www.petfooddirect.com/dog/

I don't buy kibble so haven't compared their prices, but I've been told they're competitive.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#18 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Registered Users
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

A correction: I've since learned I erred; Chewy is *not* a sponsor for the 2017 National Sheepdog Finals. (They were asked, but declined; instead they donated a box of dog-related items).

I just started buying from Chewy, in large part because so many friends endorsed them highly, but also because they're a sponsor for the 2017 National Sheepdog Finals. Not pleased with this change. I may go back to buying from my local pet supply store - no live animals sold there, only excellent prices on top-brand items. (If it's so good, where's the downside? Oh, it requires that I plan ahead, as they often close by 6 PM - same as my local feed store, with similar prices).

#19 moosikins

moosikins

• Registered Users
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

That's very disappointing. I'm usually quite unhappy with Petsmart's customer service and in-store presence.

We love Chewy and use it almost exclusively...Their customer service has been AMAZING. 

This past winter they mailed us two commissioned portraits of our dogs and a handwritten note of appreciation for being customers. It was a total surprise, just arrived one day in the mail. They follow the dogs on instagram and borrowed two photos to paint off of. <3

~ Calypso (BC/Lab) & Pandora (BC) ~

Check out comebyebcrescue.com for available dogs! 

#20 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have never had a bad experience with PetSmart.

D'Elle

and family.

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.