BC Boards

Flyball Training..

Yes, complicated is the word. I am astonished at how much more complicated and complex flyball is than I first perceived it was a couple years ago when we started. Flyball training today is different than in years past and getting a good start with the right techniques will be a huge benefit to you and your dog. If you train incorrectly or not enough or spend too much time in one step or not enough time in another step, you may need to spend a considerable amount of time later to undo and retrain (with no guarantee that you will be successful). When some dogs get into a bad pattern (such as a bad box turn), it may be very difficult for the dog to do the correct thing in the ring later. Every dog learns at a different pace. Every dog in our club seems to have a different problem and it really takes a team effort to try and overcome those issues. Finding a good flyball team to get started with is essential. It's a team sport and you really do need the advice and support they offer.

thanks for all the help. Big problem I have is one; closest club is 2 hours away. second; is my BC is sound sensitive. I am working on the sound thing with him now. I take the box outside and I bounce a tennis ball off the flyball box and he catches it.

thanks for all the help. Big problem I have is one; closest club is 2 hours away. second; is my BC is sound sensitive. I am working on the sound thing with him now. I take the box outside and I bounce a tennis ball off the flyball box and he catches it.

if you post here or pm me where you live I will ask my friend if she has a recommendation for you...she knows people everywhere! :rolleyes:

Sadly, she says she doesn't know anyone.

Flyball is a team sport so a certain "critical mass" is required to have a flyball team. You compete as part of a team, not by yourself.

She said to tell you that "if he has hopes of competing, it's worth waiting until he has access to a good trainer"

re: the box turn:

"it's easy to teach it right, but its easy to teach it wrong, and VERY VERY hard to fix once it is wrong."

:rolleyes:

Sorry!

She also said that a bad box turn or a 1 hole box increases the risk of elbow/shoulder injuries...its not just being sucessful, its protecting the doggie.

"tell him that there is a risk of shoulder and elbow injury if it is a one hole box

or if he teaches a bad turn on any box, no matter how professional

if it is a two hole box, his first step is to determine which way his dog turns

on the flat, away from the box, in a big empty space

he can learn the turn long distance, but he is risking injury if he does it wrong."

Well, when I was living in very rural WV I drove 2 hrs one way for obedience lessons, and 2 hrs the other way for agility...I didn't go every week, but I went every 2-3 weeks and took careful notes practicing what I learned. Later, I found a friend to carpool with me and that helped a LOT, because we split the driving and gas and also helped each other when we practiced. It was worth the trouble to have a good set of foundation skills that I draw on, even now, 3 dogs and 12 years later.

Maybe you can find someone in your 2 hr circle to train with occasionally.

I would also suggest you talk to Pam, and she might know someone closer to you.

Good luck!

Archived