BC Boards

"Derpy pup is horrible sheepdog, excellent cheerleader"

Wasn't sure if this should go here or coffee break.

I got this video in an email a could of weeks ago.

http://thebarkpost.com/derpy-pup-is-horrible-sheepdog-excellent-cheerleader/

Not going to lie, I laughed hysterically the first time I watched it. But then I thought about it a little bit and it kind of makes me sad.

I was curious to find out other people's thoughts.

Reminds me of my late lab/pointer mix. We took him out to the pasture a couple of times, just out of curiosity. I won't insult his intelligence by saying he thought the sheep were dogs (I think any dog is smarter than that), but he certainly thought they were potential playmates. :rolleyes:

And like these sheep, ours weren't troubled by him at all. I guess they're smart enough to know whether a dog is to be taken seriously or is a threat or is just a goofball. :lol:

Just looks to me like a silly dog who's never actually been exposed to stock and is getting no help from the human in this instance. In other words, the person who took the video was looking for some entertainment value, rather than actually trying to set up a situation to expose a young dog to working stock in any meaningful way.

ETA: Tried to post this earlier, but it didn't post for some reason.

J.

OK, I have to admit this video (and the title "Derpy Pup")made me laugh. I actually think the sheep are quite funny as well. They sorta' have this confused, "what the hell is wrong with that dog?" look on their faces. They seem more perplexed then stressed. I got a laugh out of this video... but if this is what my dog had done the first time he saw sheep I probably would have cried.

Foxes and cheetahs sometimes display somewhat similar behaviour, thought to be because it doesn't distress prey. It means they can get closer without alarming them- sometimes the prey will even walk closer themselves out of curiosity, because the predator doesn't look like it's hunting.

I know that's not the intent, but it's funny how similar it looks.

I thought it was quite funny, sheep aren't bothered. He's a rescue dog, and a BC mix.

How did you find out? I looked for more info but couldn't find it. (not that I researched extensively)

I do love how the sheep act. They're like, "what the heck?"

Foxes and cheetahs sometimes display somewhat similar behaviour, thought to be because it doesn't distress prey. It means they can get closer without alarming them- sometimes the prey will even walk closer themselves out of curiosity, because the predator doesn't look like it's hunting.

Neat. That's really interesting.

How did you find out? I looked for more info but couldn't find it. (not that I researched extensively)

I do love how the sheep act. They're like, "what the heck?"

Look on youtube for 'paige the border collie', I think they also have a FB page. That's Dexter, the owner's other dog. I know because it came up in my FB newsfeed.

• 2 months later...

Yes this is Dexter, he is most certainly not a border collie. He is a goofball, but very loveable! His owner Lauren competes him in agility and trains him in flyball. Her other dog Paige is a border collie and is very accomplished in both agility and flyball. She is a bit of a rock star! Appears in television commercials and PSAs, even got on the David Letterman show a couple years ago in a "stupid pet tricks" segment. (Paige made waffles for Dave!) Paige and my Cowboy are teammates in flyball.

Google 'Paige the Border Collie' or search for 'snuggliepuppy' on YouTube for some fun and educational material featuring Paige and Dexter. Lauren is very talented at dog tricks and videos. Not from working dog backgrounds, but very good pups nontheless.

Oh yeah, both Paige and Dexter have Facebook pages! Paige's facebook traffic puts most to shame! #FamousPaige :)