BC Boards

I need help fast, BC turning aggressive suddenly

Zeus is my BC male 4 y.o. who has always been my go everywhere buddy. We also have three other dogs a BC, Nova Scotia DT Retreiver and a papillon. Dogs get along great and life's been good. My Pappy who just turned a year has suddenly become the Alpha dog of the house. Zeus has accepted this but still grumbles once in awhile. My problem is about the same time this transition of power happends Zeus started attacking car tires. No one can pull on our drive way anymore if he is out. Now I have about 5 acres fenced and the dogs make good use of it and they do get interactive play as well. If Zeus is not out side he is a cuddle muffin and couch potato....the perfect house dog. He also goes in the car to work with me and everywhere else.

Here's my problem. My pappy chases him off the bed now, but he comes up for cuddling. I was putting hid side of his face he was loving it and in an instant he looked at me crazed ears perks and snapped at me. I was shocked. I let it go thinking he must have a injury and would check when he calmed down. Couldn't find any issue. He did this a couple more times stare, growl air snap. Then a couple days ago he growled at my daughter and wouldn't let her out of the bathroom. He also did the air snap to my other daughter. So yesterday I took him for a long walk brushed up on obedience thought I would remind him who is boss, things went well. He jumped in my car we went to the store I called him in the front seat petted him and sure enough growl air snap.

Okay this is Saturday night, I am thinking we need help on Monday morning. I wake up last night around two. Zeus is over hubby's head growling and snapped as pushed him off the bed and he went running.

Okay this is super serious, I have always had multiple dogs. Trained them, and never had a situation like this. I an scared of this dog. I would never show it but I truly am. What could cause this kind of behavior. I cannot fathom loosing him but if this doesn't stop I can't wait to hear bites my kids or someone else.

Please help with any suggestions.

I am worried it's something like that as well. I just let him out and he is happy as ever wagging his taiL as he watched me make his breakfast. I did not pet him though, so sad, I was just afraid I will be bit. I just talk all sweet and happy to him and he wags and jumps in circles for his food. I am so upset. Will call vet first thing when he opens up.

This section is for training dogs on livestock. If you scroll down and make a new thread under the "general border collie discussion" section, you will get a lot more replies.

I too would be going to the vet and explain everything as best you can.

I also would not allow him on the bed anymore. If he gets up, tell him to get off. Don't push or grab for him, just tell him to get off.

If he was purchased from a breeder I would also put in a call to them. Often there are odd behaviors that the parents also exhibited so they would be the ones to know that. Hopefully if that is the case they worked through issues and will be upfront with you.

I would also treat all the dogs the same, not allow one to be pushy with the other dogs or you or demand attention from you. Usually I find the oldest male dog is in charge where other males are involved. With females it does not hold true.

I also agree - time to get him in to the vet.

I'd definitely curb the Papillon's overtly aggressive, territorial displays. You wouldn't let a German Shepherd act like that and the fact he's very small has no bearing, it's still ugly and unfair to the other dog.

But sudden behavioral changes can often indicate something going medically wrong, whether seizures or brain tumor or some kind of hidden pain. Please keep us posted. I'm sorry you're going through something so awful. :(

~ Gloria

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this story. It's so scary for you!

I agree that after 4 years this sounds like a very strange behavior change out of the blue. My old dog only really growled at me once - after I accidentally slammed his tail in the door. He spun on me and stared and growled for a good 30 seconds, so I was literally backing away, arms raised. Then he came out of it and was ashamed and sorry.

My point is that extreme, extreme pain made him go "out of his mind" for a minute. I wonder if there's some pain response going on? Are you always patting the dog, or did some of the snaps come with no contact?

Otherwise, neurological does sound possible.

Best wishes. It's such an awful situation for you

Coming to this topic late so you may already have an answer.

My thoughts are in line what others have suggested: the underlying reason may be medical, not behavioral. [but I do agree with Gloria and GentleLake that the Pap should be held to the same behavior rules as the other dogs. Smallness is no excuse for rude, obnoxious behavior.]

Possible medical reasons:

already suggested: pain, brain tumor

I also recommend checking his thyroid levels. Hypothyroidism can cause aggressive behavior in dogs. Send the sample to Dr. Jean Dodds. She is the national expert on testing and interpreting thyroid levels.

I hope that your vet can get to the bottom of this. Good Luck.

Jovi

I agree that one of the first things vet should consider is testing for thyroid imbalance. And I agree that the test should go through Dr. Dodds' Hemopet lab.

I'd forgotten about it but someone I knew had a similar experience with her border collie. Great dog suddenly became scary aggressive. Thyroid was checked and he was low. Treated with inexpensive med. and now he's fine again.

Wishing you the best and hoping it's something as simple and readily treatable as this.