BC Boards

The Fall Shed

Man o man... This week has been crazy with the sudden loss of undercoat. It's falling out in huge clumps all around the house and when I brush him with the Furminator outside it looks like the remains of some dead furry animal. He looks good though....instant skinny dog with beautiful rough coat. Vacuuming two or three times a day just barely keeps up. Anyone else going through this right now?

My GSD mix has made me immune to normal dog shedding.

I can't even describe that insanity. Like I cleaned behind his crate yesterday - after a whole two days - and stuffed a couple of grocery bags full of his fur. I say he projectile sheds and it's honestly true.

And gross.

I love my Berners and Border Collies, but man oh man, I do NOT love the shedding. There is so much hair in my house right now, I could start a stuffing business.

I won't - but like every year I am tempted to have the groomer come out and shave them all to the skin :/

I think it was someone on these boards who said a few years ago, "Some people have dust bunnies. I have dust rhinocerii."

It so applies to my house. You'd think with one dog, instead of 3 dogs and 2 cats, there would be fewer of these furry little critters roaming my domain. Doesn't seem like it.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Having had an Aussie/sled dog mix, nothing bothers me anymore. We could have woven carpets and clothing when she blew her coat(s). Our Lab just left fine reddish-yellow hairs on everything all year long. That's why my wife bought me a coffee mug inscribed 'Everything Tastes Better With Dog Hair In It'. :rolleyes:

We actually have a commercial washer in our house because I got tired of buying new washers every few years after the dog hair killed them. Well, the dog hair and the horse blankets made the case.

Due to a chronic health issue, I'm sort of obsessive about keeping my environment clean and wash all blankets, towels and doggie what nots at least once a week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Scotties who hardly ever bark and do not shed. Bless their stoic little souls.

This is driving me up the walls!! I got the old beagle, the heeler dropping fur all over the house all day long, you pet them or they rub on you, the furniture is all covered with it. I have all I can do to keep up with it, I brush them, I sweep and I sweep, I tell them that they are going to go bald soon! Gidget has not dropped a single hair as of yet which scares me to be honest. Orion and his thick soft fluffy coat just won't stop, he has these bits of fluff coming off in hunks, the more I brush the worse it gets, It looks like I never sweep the floors. I am about ready to wrap these dogs in plastic wrap!!! we gave them a bath. got the tub nicely plugged up with fur for the 2, not a bit of fur came off for Gidgets not even after the ordeal over the weekend, I just know she is going to drop as soon as the other 2 get through lol.

I have two dogs and two indoor cats. Sometimes I daydream about boarding everyone overnight so I could really get the house clean. I know the fur would just start accumulating as soon as they returned but it would be so nice to get rid of the fur for just a few minutes.

Haha....these posts are great! Since I first posted things have settled down a wee bit but ya....still clumps and fine fur all over everything despite my wife vacuuming a couple times a day. I have a bit of a beard and I find myself itchy with all the little micro thin 2 inch long strands of fur it seems to attract. And picking the hairs out of my mouth all the time....

UMMM, yummy!

Gideon is 3 1/2 and seems to be growing his thickest coat yet. No idea if he's trying to tell me what this winter is going to be like or if it's his age and he's finally getting a real coat. He's always been one of those thin short medium coats that so many like, and he still is, it's just thicker than it was 2 weeks ago. Kinda nice to run my fingers through. He feels like he just had a bath, even though he hasn't had one in at least 7 months.

Micah's still shedding. I just wonder what he'll come up with.

Sorry about Gidget, Lizabeth. At least my dog that waits until the other 2 are done is a very small very short haired one.

Oh you guys should have seen us when we were canning!!! We put up the baby gate so that no fur got in the canning! We were so sure that we were safe! NOT!!! we were doing our first batch of pickles had the brine all set up and saw black beagle hairs floating in it!!!! We were like OMG how the heck did this happen??? We then realized that Poppy was still in the kitchen, quietly sleeping on the rug by the kitchen door, yup had to throw it out wash everything, re-sterilize everything. The joys of having dogs, Wouldn't have it any other way!

And I have officially decided that I am hurting too bad to care about the floors, I am not sweeping till Friday, my neck and knee and the rest of my body decided enough is enough. Fur or no fur if someone comes over and says anything, I will direct them to the broom closet!