BC Boards

Preventic collar

gcv-border

Has anyone tried to prolong the life of a preventic collar? In general, the label directions say they should be replaced about every 3 months. I have them on my dogs since we walk out in the fields/brush a couple of times a day. I also use Frontline monthly, but was still getting ticks so added the Preventic collar on the advice of my vet.

I have a friend (lives in suburbia) who occasionally brings her dogs out for a romp "in the country". She has purchased the Preventic collars for these outings, but doesn't need to keep the collar on her dogs at her home since the tick pressure is so much lower. She was wondering if she could somehow "store" the collars to extend their active life.

The first thought that crossed my mind was to put the collars in a Ziploc (or other airtight container) and store in the fridge. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jovi

I don't have ticks on my property, but when I go for herding lessons, to my friends, or hikes in other places, they have them there. My vet told me to put the collar on 24 hours before going into tick territory and leave it on for 24 hours after. Then store it in a Ziploc bag at room temperature. Should last the whole season.

I'd wonder about storing in a plastic bag - I had one that I tried that with and (if I remember correctly) the plastic bag disintegrated. I certainly would never put it in a fridge or freezer, or any other place where food is kept.

I'd wonder about storing in a plastic bag - I had one that I tried that with and (if I remember correctly) the plastic bag disintegrated. I certainly would never put it in a fridge or freezer, or any other place where food is kept.

Good to keep in mind. I had not thought about the potential reactivity with a plastic bag. Maybe store it in a glass jar (glass jar specific for the Preventic collar, never to be used with food again).

Jovi

I took what my vet told me about storing it in a plastic bag, and put it back into it's original pouch, then back into it's original box, and then put that into a Ziploc freezer bag. This worked quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

I took what my vet told me about storing it in a plastic bag, and put it back into it's original pouch, then back into it's original box, and then put that into a Ziploc freezer bag. This worked quite well.

Can the collars be used with front line Plus our Collie had two ticks on her yesterday and i think its going to be a bad years and the Preventic collar is the one everybody likes on the boards or is there another brand.

Can the collars be used with front line Plus our Collie had two ticks on her yesterday and i think its going to be a bad years and the Preventic collar is the one everybody likes on the boards or is there another brand.

I think so, but you might want to check with your vet. Might be a bit too much all at once all the time

Yes, check with your vet.

I did use Frontline Plus with Preventic collars on my dogs, and neither seemed to have any negative effects. BUT I learned after I had been doing it that way for a few months that I should have been using Frontline, NOT Frontline Plus - according to my vet.

Jovi

Who here if any, get the Lyme vaccination for there dogs and if so, any adverse effects to the animal We gave our Lab the shots every year but have not went that way with the BC as of yet if the ticks are that bad this year we are considering the shot any feedback

Archived