BC Boards

Smooth-coated BC pup?

• 4 months later...

Just posting a quick update whether she's BC or not. Lulu "The Goose" is now about 6-7 months old, 48 pounds and still growing. The pit has really come out in the shape of muzzle and mouth. She's long-legged and sleek, loves to run. We discovered at the lake this summer that she actually has webbed feet and loves the water. I'm thinking she's mostly black lab/pit bull, but at times she can look very regal, also like a miniature Great Dane with floppy ears. Anyway, she's very sweet, very gentle, tolerant (great with the kids), playful and extremely affectionate (you get no personal space on the couch--the minute you sit down there's a big ol' head in your lap). She'll be pushing 70 pounds full grown if she keeps up this pace.

kendall

post-13298-045611200 1347849161_thumb.jpg

post-13298-018146100 1347849168_thumb.jpg

post-13298-048813800 1347849176_thumb.jpg

post-13298-095695800 1347849219_thumb.jpg

To be fair to the OP, pitbulls are generally described as sweet natured, yes - but they are terriers, and terriers are not for everyone!

^^This

But then I would say that about Fox Terriers as well, just to put it in perspective.

She is way too cute! But I have a soft spot for smooth coats and pit bulls.

Me, too! :D She is adorable and now that she's older, even more so reminds me of mine.

My sweet Jackie. Definitely part BC, he has a lot of herding instinct, but too much other stuff to make much use of it. He is one of the Best Dogs Ever, though, and I owe my love of border collies to him starting it all.

ETA: Sorry! That pic is huge when you click on it...

post-5703-043494400 1347927669_thumb.jpg

ETA: Sorry! That pic is huge when you click on it...

The size of the picture is fine on my computer. The detail is awesome! I wish I could take crisp, clear photos, but I have no ability in that area and usually only a cell phone camera with me when I come upon a Kodak moment. Very nice dog!

I asked our GB/UK "welsh sheepdog" expert if Tilly could posibly be a welsh sheep dog (as opp[osed to a collie) and he said more likely a smooth collie, but boy can she jump, i had to weld a 1ft extension on the gates cos madam cleared them with no run up, just BOIIIING and over

she nudges form behind "lays down" and spots her prey, and can see a rook at 200 yds, but right now shes asleep on my bed...

151072_179177375428518_7505558_n.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi, I joined this board in part because I have the same question as the OP. We adopted our Spot just over a week ago, and I don't actually see anything but BC in her, yet people, misled, I think, by her all-black face with no blaze, generally see Lab in there. A nice mix, if so.

Our Angus, a rough-coat BC, died last July, and Spot is so much like Angus, except smooth coated. Also learns like a BC, goes to sleep at night and thinks about things, then wakes up in the morning with it all figured out, lol.

At any rate, would love to know what people think, could she be all or mostly BC?

post-15123-0-07318900-1369957799_thumb.jpg

post-15123-0-40753600-1369957839_thumb.jpg

post-15123-0-61039300-1369957872_thumb.jpg

The shape of her head in the side profile along with the way her ears are set, size and ripple of ears, makes me say Golden Retriever could be in there. Even her round eyes have that soft golden like look to them. I could see some border collie because of her coloring but wouldn't immediately guess BC right away. Obviously everyone will give you a different answer. After years working in a grooming shop/vet office, I have seen all kinds of intentional mixes that look nothing like the known parents, so someone else's guess is as good as the next persons. Enjoy her as you will never know and the best breed is whatever you want her to be!

Interesting! I did see something else in her eyes, something different than my Angus.

I'm not worried about whatever else is there, just curious more than anything.

One can get DNA testing done now at quite a low cost, it reveals the primary breed and secondary breeds, and apparently is quite accurate. Haven't decided whether I'll bother with that, lol.

I agree that could very well be a BC mix - and a very pretty one at that. The side profile of the head suggests a mix, but the couch position is all BC! :)

I have heard of too many laughable inaccuracies with the DNA testing for identifying breeds. I am sure (or I hope) that the test results should be more accurate as more data is collected, and perhaps, more accurate probes are developed, but at the current time, I would put my money towards dog toys, etc.

Jovi

The deep sulk is pure Border Collie, yes. My god that breed can sulk like nobody's business, lol.

I didn't realize about the inaccuracies of canine DNA testing - good to know. How does one know that they are, in fact, inaccuracies, though?

Spot seems to be leggy, more than a BC, and lean, too (naturally lean, like a Greyhound). Her all-black head is so incongruous atop her spotted body, in fact I thought about calling her Blackhead. Not seriously, though. Spot is the right name, because this way I can call out to her, "Run, Spot, run!" and amuse myself each time I do it.

Yeah. I am easily amused.

I'm not sure what that link is supposed to prove aside from more laughable results? lol the guesses offered on that page are a heck of a lot more likely then most of those DNA results. rare breeds pop up a LOT of DNA results, like that dog 01--the chances that that dog is a mix of those 4 breeds are slim to none. I remember seeing someone else tests results, the dog came back as a Bauceron/Lowchen/Japanese chin/whippet..umm ya, so where is this one place with that many rare breed intact dogs with irresponsible owners all grouped together?

edit: boy those Dandi Dinmonts and Sealyhams sure get around if those DNA tests are to be believed! lol

From what I understand, the DNA tests, when done properly (and this was a university study) are quite accurate.

Nevertheless, I totally understand why a person might not want to believe the results. Fair enough.

Cheers!

After my dog received her unlikely results, a friend of mine who had a high-level position in a national animal welfare organization at the time had lunch with a rep from the DNA testing company. She told them my 40-lb. black dog who shares many features and behaviors with herding dogs was tested, and the results that came back indicated she was a high-content chihuahua with no other breeds identified in her background. The rep offered to retest Sophie, so we did (and, by the way, my friend, who has been a vet tech for more than 20 years, did the second cheek swab). The second time, the results indicated no chihuahua at all (even though she had previously tested as more than 50% chi) but instead a redbone coonhound and a few other breeds in lower percentages (and no sign of Australian shepherd or border collie, which are the breeds she most resembles in looks, behavior, and temperament). I have never even seen a redbone coonhound, and how could the chihuahua part just go away?

I did my test on Sophie when the test first came out, so it may well be more accurate now than it was then. But if the DNA testing companies really want to alter perceptions of inaccuracy, they should offer to test some known-background dogs at no cost to build credibility.

Good idea, to test some known background dogs at no cost. My understanding is that these commercial DNA testers are not likely to be accurate but going thru one's vet IS likely to be accurate.

Some DNA tests are extremely accurate. The problem they are having with the breed ID tests is that most modern breeds are much more closely related than they appear. The markers are so close and so similar that they aren't always able to distinguish breeds, especially when there has been mixing. There was recently an article in a veterinary publication about these breed ID tests. They sent samples from known mixes, as well as purebreds. They also sent samples of the same dog multiple times, but under different names. The results were far from accurate. Even the purebred dogs were often identified incorrectly.

If you have cash to spare, go ahead and do it for fun. However, I wouldn't take the results as anything more than an educated guess.