BC Boards

Frisbee Dogs in Austin?

Guest amylobdell24

Guest amylobdell24

Been awhile since I've posted...aquired another dog, moved, but still lurking on the boards! I'm looking for a disc dog club in or around Austin, TX - anybody know of one? Of course I seem to be able to find them in every other major city in Tx, but not Austin.... I know there used to be one here - I even have one of their monogrammed frisbees from a demo we saw when my first dog was a pup. Since she's grown up, I can't even find their website - it was austinairdogs. Anyway, anyone who has any ideas or contacts to share would be appreciated!

Guest amylobdell24

How funny - I was just on that website & couldn't figure out how to join & add a topic - but the link you put on took me right to that post. Sounds like there's just not a club in this area right now...I'll see if I can't figure out how to post something on the site & put my name in as another interested-if-anyone-ever-wants-to-meet-up-and-play-frisbee type person. Thanks!

Amy, I'm also in Austin and have been looking for clubs myself. Pretty much all I have found are a couple of agility clubs in Hutto and Cedar Park. I'm also looking for frisbee clubs, I don't really have any interest in getting my border into agility, its the disc that she loves. If you come across anything please let me know, and I'll do the same. What parks do you go to?

Guest amylobdell24

So I did figure out how to create a profile on K9disc (the website both ninso & mobcmom mentioned) and added a reply to the already established Austin-area group thread about a local club. Apparently, there really is no Austin disc dog club - go figure!! A few super dedicated (and probably non-working) few mentioned a club in the Houston area that is great - but would still be too far to drive for me & my three. A few suggested I should start a club in Austin - which is funny since I was the one with the least (i.e. absolutlety none) experience with training frisbee dogs. I suggested that if they could provide the name of a trainer to teach the class, I'd be happy to help organize a webpage, group classes, meet-ups, etc. No replies yet, though!! We do agility three nights a week fairly close to the house at the Williamson County HS - probably the group you mentioned in Cedar Park - TAG....It's a fabulous group of people, but trains for agility only. We frequent Brushy Creek Lake Park up off Parmer, the nature trail at Emma Long (when there's water in the greenbelt, which has been hard to come by the last few months!), and occasionally the dog park at Town Lake. We're not really dog park fanatics - had a few bad experiences with aggressive dogs off-leash & no owner-type humans anywhere in sight. My dogs tend to be more interested in object-hurling humans than other ball-stealing canines anyway, so there's really no benefit to dog parks for us. Pretty much we just need a flat place to throw the ball & some water for them to cool off in - I have one dog that's exercise intolerant & will pass out without water she can immerse herself in. How about you? Found any great parks y'all love?

Thanks for the update on clubs. I would be really interested in helping you start up a disc club; however, like you, we are newbies at this and wouldn't even know where to begin.

We don't really do the dog park thing either, Ally is also more interested in the ball or frisbee than other dogs, and most of the dog parks I've been to are too small for what she wants to do. There is a small neighborhood park across the street from my house that we usually go to. There's a big field there, and thats what she likes. We also go mess around on the soccer fields at Circle "C" park in south austin when nobody is using them. I have a buddy with a 2yr old male who she loves to visit, there's a good size field outside his apartment where we toss them the frisbee. My buddy is also interested in a frisbee club, so there are more of us out there, craigslist may be a good place to look for others who might be interested. Finding someone who knows the ropes will be the hard part.

And what an awesome new dog you have :rolleyes: I wish I was still in Texas, I could get you hooked up with some frisbee. As for me and my pack, we have settled back in Colorado. All but one puppy is gone. I kept one of Emma's boys and his name is Charm. Plus I have added a few more dogs to my pack. I know what you are thinking, she is crazy! How many does that make? 16 total. The newest: the border pup, a wolfen mix, like my old guy, and a border/gsd that I saw at a petsmart adoption. That's why I should never go to those things.

How's agility coming? Have you made it to any trials yet? Kit, Raven, Emma and I hit a Rally/OB/Conformation trial back in Sept. Kit got her first leg towards her CDX with a first place. She would have done better, but I am a bonehead. Raven and Kit Q'd in RA twice. And Emma scored her RN Title. Plus, each took a Best of Breed in the show ring. Not many agility trials here, so I have started Jaeger out in scent detection.

Rayna

post-9377-1225948576.jpg

Guest amylobdell24

***RAYNA***!!! Hey there, girl! So good to hear from you. Big hugs sent your way... So glad to hear your expanding crew is doing well. I miss all their little black & white faces....especially Raven's :-) That Valero commercial still plays down here all the time & we always play it back on slow-mo to see her happy face! Congrats on your agility progress! We still haven't competed - need to, though - only working one job now, so I really have no excuse...We are working agility with TAG now - Triple Crown just wasn't the same without you! All the teachers in TAG are currently competing, titling agility peeps & just have so many great suggestions & tricks. Ceana's runs would potentially qualify about 80% of the time now, and she's really learning to pay attention to the little details. Her jumps are still great, thanks to you! Hardly ever knocks a bar - and then it's usually cause I did something to distract her. Anyway, I wish you were here too - and not just for frisbee! Belle is very miffed you're not at agility class anymore. I have no doubt she'd remember you in a second! Take care & let me know if you hear of any frisbee stuff we could get involved in - really it's Francis that wants to do it with Belle, but I'd love to give Ceana a go at it too. Have a great afternoon!

I am still trying to find a way back to Texas! If I make it, I will look you up.

I have only seen Raven's commercial online! But my mom, stepdad and friend have all seen it several times :rolleyes: Out here in Colorado, she is the Rodeo Fair Queen of Delta County. Complete with red dress, hat and Hans to pull her cart!!

post-9377-1226029115_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Been awhile since I've posted...aquired another dog, moved, but still lurking on the boards! I'm looking for a disc dog club in or around Austin, TX - anybody know of one? Of course I seem to be able to find them in every other major city in Tx, but not Austin.... I know there used to be one here - I even have one of their monogrammed frisbees from a demo we saw when my first dog was a pup. Since she's grown up, I can't even find their website - it was austinairdogs. Anyway, anyone who has any ideas or contacts to share would be appreciated!

Did this ever get going? I would like to attend with Aggie as well.