BC Boards

Permanent canines

mum24dog

I've only had one dog before that was young enough to be changing teeth so this is something I'm not very familiar with.

Risk is 5 1/2 months old and permanent teeth seem to be coming in fine except that he still has his baby upper canines and there's no sign yet of the permanent ones. They don't seem to be loosening and he has lots to chew on.

He's a slow growing pup and still looks as if his eyes are bigger than would be expected in an adult so I think his head has some growing to do yet.

At what age would you start to get a bit concerned if his baby teeth haven't fallen out? I know what the net says but would rather hear experienced personal opinions.

When you start to see signs that the adult teeth are going to erupt. If the baby canines haven't come out at that point, I start encouraging gentle games of tug and give a good size chunk of some beefy meaty bone, something big enough to sink more than just the front teeth into. I want to make sure that loosening those teeth is not a bad experience.

I have a rescue BC who has had several mouth problems, including a rather significant overbite.

Her permanent canines started coming in (sorry, I don't remember her age at that point), but her baby teeth hadn't fallen out.

Because of her bite problem, the vet recommended removing the baby teeth - which happened at the same time other work was done. I'd encourage the tugging or bones, but if both are present....get 'em checked out.

diane

Adult canines will start coming in soon.

Please do not try to get the baby teeth to come out faster with bones and tugging. If they break as a result, pieces left behind can cause infection and need to be removed under anesthesia. When in doubt, check with your vet.

Thanks. I'll just monitor them for a little while longer before getting them checked out by my vet. On line time scales vary so much it's hard to know what counts as normal. According to the charts canines should come in before the molars and premolars but I guess he hasn't read that. It's just the upper ones that are slow.

Adult canines will start coming in soon.

Please do not try to get the baby teeth to come out faster with bones and tugging. If they break as a result, pieces left behind can cause infection and need to be removed under anesthesia. When in doubt, check with your vet.

A very valid concern!

I want to emphasize that I suggested gentle games of tug and not bones, but beefy meaty bones. I'm not talking about anything that would rip the teeth out, ONLY encouraging the pup to actually use them in a normal way. Usually, the pups with retained teeth aren't chewing food, they are swallowing whole and they aren't wrestling with other dogs and doing the sort of things that help loosen those teeth naturally. There is a hormone process involved in losing baby teeth too, so no tooth should be encouraged to come out before it's time. If you can see the pulp discoloring, then it's time, if there is any doubt, definitely don't make that judgment yourself. Gentle games of tug and normal chewing should not pull out a tooth that isn't ready to come out.

I have a pup that is about 6 1/2 months old and his 1st puppy canine just dropped off, his adult canines began erupting about a week ago. You may see that his adult tooth will grow in right next to the baby tooth, don't panic, 99% of the time the puppy tooth will fall out in it's own time under normal play and wrestling conditions.

The only time that we have intervened was when a adult canine was completely in and it was clear that the puppy tooth wasn't coming out on it's own. In our experience it happens very rarely, though if you google it, some will make you think it is a pretty common problem.

Penny's upper canines were the last baby teeth to fall out as well.

We had the same thing happen as Debbie mentions above with one of them, the adult canine came in alongside the baby tooth. We ended up having the baby tooth pulled when she was spayed as it wasn't loosening on its own. Our vet said he doesn't see that terribly often either.

Echoing what others have said - upper canines seem to be among the last to go, at ~ 6 months or a bit more. I've had dogs with both baby and partially grown in upper canines. The baby canines fell out right about the time I was starting to worry about it.

It sure is nice when they get the adult teeth in - no more razor-sharp teeth causing profuse bleeding if they miss while playing "tug".

• 3 weeks later...

Typically only a few days after I posted his permanent teeth appeared. His first baby canine did break and I'm keeping an eye out for inflammation but it looks fine. His other one is very wobbly and I'm expecting it to be gone next time I look.