BC Boards

getting a puppy

tessa_s212

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, you could ditch conformation altogether and do field competitions - doesn't this look like fun? :rolleyes:

PollySeclusival05.jpg

You just need to find someone who will let you borrow an older trained dog for the time until you are in college. My trainer was looking for just such a person to run his fully-trained, champion dog, before he (my trainer) passed away. It's reasonably common.

I don't know whether other trialing venues (hunt, tracking, beagling) would go for a similiar arrangment.

lol Yeah, herding is a lot of fun! And its a lot more challenging then any other dog sport, you really have to have a partnership and connection with the dog to do well.

Herding is the only thing I ever really wanted to do with my dogs after seeing her Dam, Sire, and Grand Dam work so nicely. Right now I play around in other dog things but herding will be my one and only in a few years.

Check herding out if you can, go watch it! Its possible you might get the herding bug! :rolleyes: Then you'll have a whole new out look on AKC and their conformation events.

Katelynn, Dice, and Cuebeeeeeee

I'm in love with agility.

I was too. It was loads of fun for me and my dog. I enjoyed trying to figure out the best path to run to help guide my dog, teaching my dog directionals, etc. It was fun for both of us till we got to the point all were had left to do was look for ways to shave fractions of seconds off our time.

Herding is a thinking activity. Unlike agility where your dog?s path is fixed to the stationary obstacles, herding is always changing from one moment to the next. You?re constantly having to adjust your dog?s path to control the path of the sheep AND you?re doing this a long ways away from your dog. Be careful, though; once you try it you can easily get hooked.

Mark

Medium to very-high physical activity level

High to very-high mental activity level

Mental Maturity achieved 3-4 years old [/QB]

How true that is!!!!! Our 2 1/2 yr old dog Spot just now decided that he really likes herding, and chasing just about anything, his personality has changed so much that he isnt the same shy pup he was for the last 2 1/2 years.

No one is personally attacking you, you are just hearing the not so pretty truth when you were wanting to hear about puppy kisses. But everyone here has spoke the truth. Take the advice to heart and then make a decision after thinking about it for awhile.