BC Boards

Steve Clendenin

With regret I have to inform you all that Steve passed away this morning about 3:30. It was apparently sudden which was what he wanted, I know. Please keep the Clendenin family in your thoughts and prayers and I'll pass on more details when I find them out. Nancy wanted all of you all to know.

I didn't know Steve except through these boards - but what a great guy who will be sorely missed. Rebecca, please send love to his family for me, and if there's anything we board members can do to help them out, let us know.

Steve always made so much sense. I'd always look for his posts because he always added clarity to every conversation.Those of us who have come on the board recently don't know what a treasure they've missed. I hope someone somewhere gleans the wisdom from Steves posts and writes a book. I was already missing him, I'm sorry to hear he has passed on.

I only lurk on this board, but Steve's posts often brought a smile to my face. He sounded like quite a character and a fighter as well. I hope he is happy and pain free where ever he is. Send my love, thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

I only knew Steve through this board, but I will miss him. I looked forward to his comments. He always had something to say that made sense to me and I learned from him. I?m so sorry he lost this fight.

My deepest condolences go to all his friends and family.

I second what Laurie said, that if there is anything we board members can do to help out, let us know.

I've known Steve since the days of Mick, our first Border Collie, that's about 12 years or so.

Steve was one of the most cantankerous and opinionated people I've ever known. He was also one of the most generous, supportive and willing to put up with newbie mistakes people I've had the pleasure to know.

After a bad junior level run, he'd give us holy hell, after a good one, a subtle thumbs up and smile.

For years he hosted a series of junior level trials, each run with the professionalism of an open trial. We learned how to act, we were welcomed with respect, he would meet us at the exhaust and give us a play by play of what we did -- good and bad.

There are a LOT of handlers in the Carolinas and Virginia who are now running in in the Open thanks to the experience gained in these trials.

I'm one, and I just want to say "Steve, thank you."

Colin

So sorry to hear this. I, too, only "knew" Steve through the boards but enjoyed and learned something from each of his brief, to-the-point, and often humorous posts.

He struck me as a kind-hearted, gruff-sounding man who never took any guff and never gave any, either.

I sure will miss him.

I just learned of this very sad news. I so thought he was getting better after talking to him a couple weeks back and via email early this past week.

I will truly miss his insight. He told me that he thought Keegan would never take onto sheep during the client I attended at his place last May - the first time I had the pleasure of meeting Steve. Keegan welcomed the moment we opened the door to let him out. Then we started taking lessons and he was amazed at the maturity Keegan had gained over a short 6 months. He thought Keegan would turn out to be a fine sheep dog. This time around he didn't want to leave Steve's place.

I hope to continue my learning as a tribute to Steve and I know he will be looking down on us in the good times and bad.

I also wish he could have seen Tess one more time - he really had a thing for my girl.

Pass on my love and prayers to Nancy and the rest of the family. Brian and I are both saddened by this news.

Colin,

There are some northern handlers Steve helped along the way to open, too. I'm one of them - although relatively new to open and still really rough around the edges! His novice series started the first year I ran novice-novice and I learned a phenominal amount. Yup, I drove 16 hours round trip for two 3-minute runs over the weekend. (No one ever said I was bright!) I am so very glad I made those trips!

My first time there was in March that year. Me being above the Mason-Dixon, I thought that just about anything in the south, like NC, was bound to be warmer then PA in March. I spent a very uncomfortable night in my old truck - with the temp hovering in the high 20's - wishing I had more then one dog to cuddle with.

The education, friendliness, aand real care that cantankerous man showed all of us novices is something I will never forget or be able to repay.

Oh my gosh Deb, be glad you weren't down for the APRIL trial when it sleeted! Our Welsh judge said this was some vacation for him, while he was helping me put up the tent in the driving freezing rain. A Scottish handler who shall remain nameless told Steve that if he'd wanted "friggin' weather like this" he'd "friggin' gae back hame." He didn't say friggin' of course.

Guest JoeysMom

I'm so sorry for your undoubtedly great loss. I did not know Steve, and I am still getting to know many of you. However, the loss of a friend is always painful and unbelievably difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I thought about Steve today and cried a few times. I didn't even know him.

I've had to consider my own death, and I made up a poem for when I go.

Please don't cry for me

I'm all right don't you see

I'm not in any pain anymore

My head isn't aching

my heart isn't breaking

I'm walking into heaven's door...

Steve's ok now. May he rest peacefully and be there to greet us when our time comes.

Like many others, I only ?knew? Steve through the internet. But he was a person whose character seemed to come through very clearly ? a straight talker, with a somewhat wicked sense of humor, and as was said, very generous with great common sense advice. His optimistic attitude to his cancer and the treatment was also an inspiration. I can only imagine the great sense of loss among his friends and family and the Border Collie handlers? community. But what a great legacy he has left.

When I saw the news yesterday, I wasnt sure that there was anything that I could say. Mitziki reminded me that some things are better said through a poem or, in this case, a song.

When I go, dont cry for me.

In my father's arms I'll be.

The wounds this world left on my soul,

will all be healed and I'll be home.

Sun and moon will be replaced

with the light of Jesus' face.

And I will not be ashamed,

for my saviour knows my name.

It dont matter,

where you bury me,

I'll be home and I'll be free.

It dont matter, where I lay.

All my tears be washed away.

Gold and silver blind the eye.

Temporary riches lie.

Come on in from out the storm.

Come and drink and thirst no more.

So weep not for me my friend,

when my time, it all does end.

For my life belongs to him,

who will raise the dead again.

It dont matter where you bury me.

I'll be home and I'll be free.

It dont matter where I lay.

All my tears be washed away.

-Emmylou Harris

I'm another one of those open handlers who got my start at Steve's trials--in fact his was the first trial I ever attended, and my first run was pretty darn ugly. But what a great series of trials, and a great place to trial. I started during the last two years Steve held his novice series, and it was certainly thanks to those trials that I was bitten by the trialing bug and inspired to move up the ranks. And those Friday evening chats and storytelling sessions were the best! I'm just grateful that he is in a better place and especially that he is no longer in pain.

J.

I bet Steve is still muttering under his breath about that sheep I owe him for from Tucker's first cinic at his place..I am sure to this day he is swearing that my dog turned that sheep so fast he broke her(of course he didnt tell me this till three years later)....Thank you for the help along the way my friend and I hope you have finally found peace.