Raw meats and salmon

Plums

raw eggs

salt

candy

hops

chicken jerky treats

doggy treats

I've seen most of these before. I do feed my dogs 3 oz of raw meat a day. But it was interesting what it said about raw salmon - that it is really toxic to dogs. I'm sure I've seen some raw meat mixes from Primal that include raw salmon. I don't know about that but i don't give my dogs raw fish of any kind.

Who put out this list? A few of those things are fine in moderation IMO (certain leftovers fed as small part of their diet aren't harmful, neither are healthy treats) Re: salmon - I think a certain variety of salmon can harbor a bacteria or parasite that is harmful.

I modified this list to be worst food for humans:

Chocolate (send to me)
Grapes (unless it is in wine)
Garlic or onion (unless you are invaded by Vampires)
macadamia nuts (send to me)
Avacadoes (any part of the avacado) (unless in a taco)
Alcohol (send to me)
Bread dough (but cookie dough is ok)
Food that has gone bad or is moldy (cheese?)
Anything with caffeine (unless you have stock in Starbucks)
Bones and leftovers (hard on teeth)
Ice cream (send this to me)
Raw meats and salmon (sushi for you folks)
Plums (as in dried)
raw eggs (and the egg shells as well)
salt (unless on a pretzel)
candy (send to me)
hops (especially in form of beer – 6 or more in one sitting)
chicken jerky treats (only if you are camping)
doggy treats (ever tell a toddler they can’t have a Milk-Bone?)

Hazel says plums are fine or she wouldn't swing on the branches to bring them down to mouth level.

An accumulation of stones in the gut wouldn't be a risk but she's a small dog and they pass through easily and intact.

The reasoning I've seen for not allowing stoned fruit or apple pips is that the stones/pips contain cyanide but since the quantity is minute and they don't tend to break open it isn't a concern for me.

Some people just need to find things to worry about.

Avacado pits are bad because they can cause bowel obstruction but this says the whole avacado is bad.

So salmon is OK if it's frozen first? Doesn't really matter since I don't feed it anyway but I am just curious.

This list is from a website called Show Dog. That is kind of a red flag right there.

Don't ever feed raw salmon. There is a salmon poinsoning disease that can affect dogs - its a parasite that is infected with another parasite and can be fatal.

I'll have to check on the details and get back to y'all, but AFAIK it only affects salmon (and similar species of fish) that have been sitting out long enough for it to develop. I've never fed salmon because of the cost, but I've fed lake trout and other fish raw. I just make sure to feed them frozen.

That's intresting about Salmon, I had no idea. Regarding other raw fish, most sushi grade fish purshaced through specialized distributors has been deep frozen to kill parasites.

I am always curious about garlic, because I have used garlic powder as a seasoning on home made chicken treats, and usually see its fine in small quantities.

In general that list says a dog can eat kibble nothing else... I would have a very hungery dog if we followed it.

The amount of garlic that needs to be eaten to actually cause Heinz Body Anemia is a lot more than most people would ever consider feeding a dog for any reason. I feed my BC sized dogs 1 clove of freshly crushed or grated garlic 3 days a week, then off 4 days.

The veterinary PhD that created the pet poison control site would be an authority on this subject, I would think, and he completely disagrees with avacado being on this list. Avacado is poisonous to some large animals, like horses, and some birds, like parrots, but not to dogs.

And lets not forget that all living things need salt to live. It is vitally necessary for basic cellular function. Salt is not the problem, excess salt can be. But then, excess water can kill you too. Should we stop giving our dogs water?

I feed my BC sized dogs 1 clove of freshly crushed or grated garlic 3 days a week, then off 4 days

Is this for flea control? I used to feed a garlic pill, even took it myself. Didn't work for us. But we all stunk nicely the same! So is this working for your guys?

Garlic has many benefits that I feed it for, but this works for flea control for me too. However, I also do other things that could have a bearing on flea control, so I'm not sure how much of my luck with fleas is the garlic. The garlic pills never worked for me either. Springtime's Bugs Off Garlic worked ok, but fresh works way better.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Avacado is a huge no no to birds, did not know it was bad for dogs, onions and grapes I know are very very bad for dogs but the rest I thought would not be so bad in moderation macadamia nuts I find quite interesting never met a bird who does not love them now I need to check and see if I shouldn't be feeding them to my bird

Avocado is not poisonous for dogs. http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/avocado/

Wherever this list came from, it's pretty inaccurate.

Some things are true (onions, grapes), some are common sense (moldy and food that's spoiled, though dogs can tolerate a lot of spoiled stuff), but others are utterly ridiculous. Example, raw meat and eggs. I feed my dogs a raw diet consisting of raw meat and bones, as well as raw eggs. According to this list they should be dead.

Doggy treats. Seriously? That's just a little overreaching, don't you think?