BC Boards

February Trick Challenge: Paw Work

February Trick Challenge: Paw Work (Front Paws Only)

For general trick training discussion, go here: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=38991

For this month's theme we've decided to focus on front paw work. Depending on your skill level, this may be anything from a paw shake or a target to complex sequences with paw work, or combining things like targeting with already trained tricks.

Kingfisher's list of examples for the development of paw related tricks increasing in difficulty:
http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-14480-0-65070300-1454260318.jpg

We'll use this thread to ask questions and give support, and at the end of the month (or during the month) feel free to post videos or pictures of the final product. You are also welcome of course to train more than one paw related trick throughout the month.

Videos

Shake:

Paw Targeting:

High Five:

Wave:

Be shy:

Cross paws:

Paws on your feet:

Hug (with Cohen!)

Enjoy!

Edited by chene

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay!!!

Here is what I will be working on:

Bandit: Get paw touches to some kind of target going for BOTH front paws (currently he pretty much only offers one), progress to paw touches to my hand, him sitting, each paw on a distinct cue. If he masters that, we will progress to front paw lifts (while sitting).

Tessa: She already does really nice alternating front paw lifts. I would like to work on her learning to do this while standing (currently she does them when sitting). I would love to see her be able to do four alternating front paw kicks while standing at a distance of about 5 feet from me. But we will just start with the lifts themselves, as she stands.

Dean: I would like to work with Dean to see if I can teach him to place both of his front paws, at once, on pods.

Lily:

I'm going to work on backing up to find a target with her rear paws. If I can get that quickly I would like to target with each rear paw seperatly on cue.

Lyka:

I'm going to try and get her to cross her paws. She is more of a challenge to train than Lily, but she likes working with her paws so wish me luck!

For general trick training discussion, go here:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=38991

For this month's theme we've decided to focus on paw work. Depending on your skill level, this may be anything from a paw shake or a target to complex sequences with paw work, or combining things like targeting with already trained tricks.

Kingfisher's list of examples for the development of paw related tricks increasing in difficulty:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-14480-0-65070300-1454260318.jpg

We'll use this thread to ask questions and give support, and at the end of the month feel free to post videos or pictures of the final product. You are also welcome of course to train more than one paw related trick throughout the month.

Paw work? Is this the month for just front paws or does it matter? I would prefer only one end at a time. There is so much to do. so I am going to focus on front paw work only, but have to think of the specific skills I want to train.

Also, I was thinking that if someone would like feedback, posting a video of the 'problem' would be very helpful to others for formulating advice. I am hoping we are not limited to only an end-of-the-month video.

Paw work? Is this the month for just front paws or does it matter? I would prefer only one end at a time. There is so much to do. so I am going to focus on front paw work only, but have to think of the specific skills I want to train.

Also, I was thinking that if someone would like feedback, posting a video of the 'problem' would be very helpful to others for formulating advice. I am hoping we are not limited to only an end-of-the-month video.

I'm always happy to offer my 2c when it comes to trick training if anyone wants it. I think this month is front paw stuff only, so your wish is granted!

For me, I think I'll probably work on alternating paw lifts while moving (a skip!) and trying (always trying!) to get a nose cover while begging with a paw, or ideally two.

Switched it to front paw work and added that videos during the month are fine.

I think I'm going to teach Aed to pray/clap (not the head down one, but the two paws together one) and see what I can expand that into once we've got it down.

Oh, this is cool!! For the Advanced Tricks title (which Bandit and I are working on), several of the tricks involve front paws:

Chorus Line Kicks

Cross Your Paws

Tap Light/Bell/Easy Button

Turn off the Lightswitch

Wipe Your Paws

And Expert: (Which we will work toward next)

Cover Your Eyes

Litter in the Step Can (The step part)

Open a Door (using handle)

Roll a Barrel or Peanut (2 Paws)

Also, distance tricks (unspecified) at 10 and 12 feet are an option, and paw tricks can make nice distance behaviors

I'm not interested in all of those, but there is lots of potential to tie paw work into finishing these!! :)

Chene,

Thank you for organizing this and all the video links! I love that there is basic to advanced. Natasha tends to learn new things really fast but Mattie (my rescue) tends to take a bit more coaching to learn something new.

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to put this together. I can't wait to get started.

Training fail-

Take #1. I put a sticky note on Duke's nose to encourage him to paw at his face. He stared at it, cross-eyed, until I told him "alright." He tossed it up in the air, caught it, and tried eating it. (The biscuit on nose trick)

Take #2. I put a piece of masking tape on his nose, something he can't toss off. He just looked at me. I've desensitized him so much to different things such as a head halter, that he doesn't care.

I had the same problem when I tried to train that trick years ago. The second, not the first. Even though I haven't conditioned head halters, my dogs are so used to me doing different rigmarole that they will just sit there like, "OK", you stuck something on my nose. OK.

I think I am going to work on picking up each front paw. He knows shake and high five, but I would like to get a solid lift on each leg. We use back leg lifts for his conditioning program and I think lifting front legs will be useful. This will be done from a stand.

Anyone have any ideas on getting started?

I started Keeper with leg lifts by asking for a shake, but making my hand really limp. Eventually he started to hold his own foot up since I'm such an idiot who won't support his paw. :) I'd reward the instant he held his foot up at all, even if it was still touching my hand. It didn't take him too long to start just holding his paw up if I extended my hand as if asking for a shake, and then I added the word.

Big breakthrough for Bandit last night!

We were at Rally FrEe class and I was working with him on touching his right paw to my hand. That is the one he always offers. He was in a sit and I would extend my hand toward him and he was offering me the paw right away.

So, I immediately offered my other hand. At first he offered the right paw again, crossing it across his body to get to my hand. But when he didn't get the c/t, he thought a bit and then offered the left paw!! DING DING DING!!!

He is still very strongly right-pawed on this, but he successfully offered me the left paw several times over the course of the evening!!

Dean and I worked with the pod for the first time. At first I was holding it and just having him touch each of his front paws to it as I held it and cued the paw touch. After a few reps, I had it on the floor. His default was actually to use his paw to move it, but he did start to offer just setting a front paw on it and holding still. His performance was equal on both sides.

And I worked with Tessa on her standing kicks using a target stick to cue the paw lifts. She did very well with it.

I think I am going to work on picking up each front paw. He knows shake and high five, but I would like to get a solid lift on each leg. We use back leg lifts for his conditioning program and I think lifting front legs will be useful. This will be done from a stand.

Anyone have any ideas on getting started?

I train kicks by first getting a really solid paw touch to an object (I like to use the end of a spatula for this, but any object would work, and you really can even use your hand).

I ask for the touch as high as the dog can offer it comfortably. After a few reps with reinforcement, I do a rep where I move the target up out of the dog's reach as she reaches her paw up to touch it, and click/treat. Then I do a rep where I hold the target still so the dog can touch it again. I alternate having the object low enough for the touch, and moving it up out of reach so I get a kick until the dog gets used to that, and then I start to attach a cue to the kick. Eventually fade the target.

Here is a video of Tessa doing the paw kicks with a target stick. I am using the wooden spoon, not a spatula here. It's not a video of the whole training process. At this point, Tessa clearly understands the presentation of the spoon to mean kick her leg up.

This would be the point where we would start fading to smaller cues and/or verbal.

It isn't a BC and it isn't impressive but my 10 year old, deaf, Boston is going back to agility this year and so we had to teach a paw target with a bucket, so.

jk6JtdcwcnxEDq0NQJf6L.jpg

We did the thing.

I'll work on getting Kylie's alternating paw lifts videoed when we've actually GOT them. I haven't decided what to do with Molly, yet.

Punky is making progress this month!

With our blizzard I got stuck at my parents' house, which means training sessions for Scooter! We started front foot targets with position changes. So he's now sitting, standing, and laying down without moving his feet from the target. I want to get super snappy changes where his feet stay glued in place.

Think the sequence at 0:38 in this video: