BC Boards

Need a vet out here!

Ancarrow

OK, I give. What does our county (Highland Co/ Monterey, VA) have to do to get a vet? Our retired vet has offered his old office to any new vet that might come. That was oh, 4 years ago. Grant it, his office was not centrally located in the county, but it enabled West Va coverage. We (the county) can guarantee long hours, low pay and nice views of the mountains and no traffic lights (except the one flashing one in Monterey). What more could a "young" vet want. Did I mention Friday night Bingo at the firehouse? Sorry no movie theater, but we do have monthly movies at the library. Any takers?

OK, I give. What does our county (Highland Co/ Monterey, VA) have to do to get a vet? Our retired vet has offered his old office to any new vet that might come. That was oh, 4 years ago. Grant it, his office was not centrally located in the county, but it enabled West Va coverage. We (the county) can guarantee long hours, low pay and nice views of the mountains and no traffic lights (except the one flashing one in Monterey). What more could a "young" vet want. Did I mention Friday night Bingo at the firehouse? Sorry no movie theater, but we do have monthly movies at the library. Any takers?

If you throw in some housing/pasture for sheep and horses, and a job for a physical therapist, I might talk to my wife... ;)

How is the climate over there?

-edit: Wikipedia knows everything,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Virginia-

Well, we will see what we can do. Housing and pasture is no problem. I have both to rent and some is with the clinic area (Dr. Joe still lives on his farm next door to where is office was-he does lots of sheep and cattle and has a few horses). Plus Bath County Hospital is 35 minutes away (near Homestead Resort) and then Augusta Medical Center is about 1 hour away in Staunton, VA area (1 hr 30 minutes to UVA in C'ville). Climate (to me) is awesome. Similar to up north. County nickname is little Switzerland. Winters are rough but summers are nice. Low humidity and can count on one hand number of times it ever has hit 90 degrees here in over 12 years. Few people even have ac, I don't. Think the chamber of commerce has a website. Something like www.highlandcounty.org. Come for a visit and see. Here's hoping, Karen For GPS: 101 Spruce Street, Monterey, VA 24465, puts you somewhere in town of Monterey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How far are you from Central Va? Bon Ingram 804-883-5822 knows more about sheep than anyone else I have found. I had her out to ultrasound some ewes a few years ago and do a breeding exam on a ram. Don't know if she is even in the area anymore but you can try....

Thanks for the info. Mona. It's nice to find good ones outside of our area, but still dream of the day we may have one right here in our own county. Till then, it's over the line into Franklin WV, Bath County at Warm Springs or a trip over to the valley. One day a young vet in training will come here and love it and stay on. ;)