BC Boards

Dog Crates to Fit SUVs that DON'T Cost an Arm & a Leg...

Deb

Well, finally had to break down and replace the old '91 Toyota Pick-up...it has at last exceeded it's life expectancy and maintenance expense limits...

Has anyone a source for slant-front crates?

I want to put two crates into the back of a Chevy Tahoe, with the pasenger seats up and useable by two-legged critters. Given the available room, slant fronts seemed the best option, especially as I want to put storage under the crates. I'd like to give the dog(s) some room to stretch, stand, sit comfortably.

The Kennal Aire slant front does not seem to be available any longer...at least in my internet searches...

If the answer is no, anyone have a set of plans to build 'em?

Deb,

Geez, that Toyota should just be getting broken in by now!

I avoided the need for slant-front crates by building a small platform for the back of my 4Runner. This gets the crates above the wheel well and allows them to be further forward in the cargo section which allows the door to close normally and also creates some additional storage space below the crates. I can put two intermediate crates side by side back there. Of course, the rear seat has to be down.

And I solved my Ford Ranger problem with a unique (at least I've never seen one like it!) solution: the big dog goes in a crate which has two doors - one on the end and one of the side; that crate goes cross-ways up against the cab end, and sits on a very low platform, just to get above the wheel wells (actually, only about 1/4 of the way up was enough for it to fit!). The smaller dogs goes in a regular rectangular crate with just one door - and that crate sits with the door facing the tailgate.

The big crate's side door opens - though not all the way - enough for the big guy to get in. Othe dog goes in from the tailgate end. There's enough room to put a small ice chest in the leftover space!

My previous solution was to have to MOVE the smaller crate, which sat sideways, to get the door to the big crate open - which also meant that the smaller one couldn't be fastened down at all.

Now both are fastened with nylon buckle straps ("river raft straps") to the tie-downs in the bed, and to each other. Not totally secured, but would minimize bouncing in an accident. Also, the big one only has about 4" above it to the camper shell top - so it couldn't go far at all.

Ah, the things we do....

diane

Hi Guys!

Thanks Mark. I will wander over and take a look at that web site.

If that does not pan out I think I just may take the standard crates I now have and trim them to fit myself. That way I can put the slant at the back of the passenger seat where I want it and still be able to close the lift gate of the Tahoe. The tilt of the 2nd row seats actually cause me to lose almost 9 inches of room on the floor behind the crate, and prevent me from shutting the rear door.

I want a platform with storage underneath and this might work... Now, just where did I put those wire cutters...?

Mark - I have a mere 168K on the 91 Toyota truck. My 97 Saturn has 190K! Both on the first turn...

As for the pup, well, she did not work out. She is a very good dog, just not for me.

Thanks all!