BC Boards

Tick's head is left in her skin - MORE!

INU

I tried not to kill the sucker to avoid this to happen. When I pulled it out, it was still moving without its head. Do I need to take her to a vet? Is there a chance the body mechanism would kick this foreign object out of her? I've removed ticks successfully before and I didn't think I needed to take her to a vet just to remove it.

I'd just keep an eye on it, keep it clean and let it work it's way out. Maybe try, with a sterile needle or tweezers, to fish around a lil bit and see if you can get the head out as best you can.

I wasnt 100% sure, so I looked it up and heres waht I found.

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCart/pc/tick_head.html

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogT...tPrevention.php

http://www.vetinfo.com/dogpara.html#Tick%20removal

So, yeah, disinfect it. If ya want, try and fish it out. The body should push it out on it's own, just keep it clean and watch for infection.

That has happened to us more times then I like to admit. We just clean it, and keep an eye on it, never have had any problems, except often it leaves a scar, and the hair grows in white there. We now use Frontline, and get many less ticks. Hate those nasty blood sucking buggers.

Oh-mg. I found two more today. I followed the instruction but again one of them left its head in her skin.

What am I doing wrong? I grabbed it by closest to the head and firmly held it and tried to work it up slowly. It would not let go! Someone told me the frontline spray works better - true?

I think the burning buts is a wives tale, we have lots of ticks here, though thankfully not deer ticks. So we have lots of practice, yay.

Slow and steady withdrawal is the key. I just use my fingers, since they are less likely to squeeze too hard then tweezers.

Actually its kind of funny, I just realized we got through the summer without a single tick this last year, that's a first.

--Denise

I just use my fingers, slow steady pressure. If you are that grossed out then go ahead and wear gloves. :rolleyes: They don't gross me out when they look like watermelon seeds, but when they swell up, gives me the shivers. My beagle Archie has a growth on his side that completely resembles in color and texture a big huge tick. I'm just waiting for the opportunity for the vet to remove it.

Now with deer tick you want to be a bit more careful with Lyme disease and all, but other then that no big deal.

--Denise

I've used the ticked-off brand tick removing spoon three times- the only tick encounters I've had in the past couple of years- and it worked great.

Each time the entire tick was removed easily.

One tick came off my daughters tummy, one from the other daughter's pet bunny after he'd been out for a romp in the yard, and one from a very heavily coated elkhound/bc mix.

This tool worked better for me than forceps I've used in the past.

http://www.tickedoff.com/

You may be squeezing too hard, if you do, they will release their head from their body. If you are using the tweezer this is easy to do. I dont have the nerve to remove them by hand, they grosse me out too much lol so I use tweezers, just squeeze enough to hold the tick and then REALLY slowly and steadily pull back at a slight angle (with the head so near to the dogs body) and wait. They kinda pop like they're removing suction, ya just have to wait, slow and steady.

I've never tried the spray or the tick removing tool but I've heard they work. As far as burning their butts go, it is a wives tail, or so I've heard, most of the time doing that you stress them out and they will pop their butts off their head ike they've been doing.

Yay for Cheri's tools! They are amazing, simple as they may look. I was going to recommend them but I could not remember what they were called in English. *tick twister, tick twister, tick twister* :rolleyes: . Get some!

Before I had those, I often ended up leaving the head in. It always came out by itself after a while.

Ticks are gross :mad: . I often can't even swat flies because I feel sorry for them, but ticks bring out the dark side of me. If they get caught on Kessie, the best fate that they can hope for is the tick guillotine (you can get their heads off very nicely once they're stuck in the tick twister).