BC Boards

Border Collie Toys

Hello!

I have a lil border collie mix puppy who just turned one (you might remember her: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=39213&hl= ...she's not that teeny anymore!)

....and she's TEARING through toys.

We get BarkBox once a month and the last few boxes, the heavy-chewer toys haven't lasted more than a few days, if that. It's ridiculous!! She isn't as crazy about the heavy rubber/Kong toys-- she LOVES LOVES LOVES plush toys she can shake around. And they stand up to the shaking and a little bit of the chewing, but when she starts very meticulously picking at the seams until they rip open so she can discard the innards all over my house... well. They don't stand a chance.

Do any of you have great recommendations for tough (plushy?) toys she can shake? Ropes had been okay, but lately she has started just peeling the threads out of them sooooo.

Help!

I think plush toys by design are easily destroyed.

But something that might be close would be the Kong Wubba and any of the Kong Ballstic line of toys. They're kind of fabric-like and hold up a bit longer.

I do know someone who just buys cheap dollar store plush toys and throws them out weekly when they're destroyed.

I don't know why, but Nala loves these ducks: https://www.amazon.com/Duckworth-Large-Yellow-Duck-Dog/dp/B000084E7Y

She can be destructive with plush toys, but she likes to just carry these ones around, shake them a bunch, and then suck on their butts. They are pretty sturdily made (although I'm sure she could get through them fine if she tried).

Have you tried a chuck-it flying squirrel or the Skinneeez stuffingless toys? Also the outward hound invincibles snake has been a huge hit that takes a long time for my two dogs to destroy. One is a big fan of gutting stuffed toys. The same can not be said for the other toys in the outward hound line.

What I did is get large pieces of fleece material from the market. This is sooo cheap, and pretty darn sturdy.

You can cut them into three big strips and braid them together and make two knots at the end

There is also a thing called a 'scooby doo knot'. Google it for instructions :)

You could also crumple up a larger piece of fleece, into another piece and make a knot in it to make more of a stuffed animal type of toy. Squeakers can be bought separately (they're cheap). You can incorporate those in your toys.

I did this lots of times: much cheaper than regular toys. It got destroyed plenty of times, but hey, it cost less than a dollar to make a new one :)

I having a rubber chomping machine in my house as well, my almost one year old can destroy rubber toys in amazing speed, he did some serious damage to the handle of a Jolly ball in an hour. Current popular toys in this house are kong wubbers, with and without the balls that go inside, we have a couple of dead skins that they love. Some random rubber toys that have survived the killer jaws and fleece tug toys that seem to hold better than anything else. I use 2 different types of 4 strand braiding for my tugs and they hold up to some tough treatment.

Neither of my dogs has much time for regular kongs with or without food.

• 3 weeks later...

We also get Barkbox and I have to ration out the toys otherwise they are gone in a the same number of days there are toys. One thing I do is I take the 'carcasses' of the toy's he's destroyed (with stuffing and squeakers removed) and put a treat inside each one, then stuff them inside each other, creating a new puzzle toy. He LOVES them and goes through them quickly too, but at least I'm not paying for a new toy!

The other toy he really likes is the Pickle Pocket (http://starmarkacademy.com/products/treat-dispensing-pickle-pocket). I just put kibble or treats or peanut butter in the slots and he will work at it for 30 mins or so. He likes chewing it but hasn't destroyed it yet!

I have done the same thing that Dutch Border Fan has done with good effect. The dog will still tear open the toy but is less likely to eat and choke on the stuffing since it is fleece material rather than fiberfill, and it won't get spread around like snow in the house. Also, I think it is not as rewarding to the dog to find the fleece on the inside rather than the fiberfill, and they don't tend to tear them open as much if they don't get rewarded with fiberfill. At least, that was my experience. And, as noted, it's a lot cheaper to make your own. Squeakers can be bought for 25 to 50 cents each.

Tuffies do pretty well with my destructive one. Well, depending on the rating. The flatter or bigger, the better. Also, because she is destructive I don't shop at PetSmart etc. I search places like TJMaxx or Home Goods for toys. I find lots of Chuck-it, Kong, and sometimes Tuffies there. These places are much less pricey.

My last border collie was murder on toys but never did manage to destroy the Holee Roller football. Now Grace is loving it. The toy is a survivor!

Don't get a regular Holee Roller for power chewers though, they have thinner rubber webbing and Darcy managed to chew through hers. It cost just over $1000 to get a piece of it out of her stomach when it caused a blockage and that was about 7 years ago. I'm sure the cost would be a great deal higher today.