BC Boards

Awesome Freestyle Vids

Just because I was so upset from The Thread That Shall Not Be Named, I would like to see some freestyle videos of y'all and your dogs.

Unfortunately, none of my live routines were ever videoed :( I do a lot of performances for local volunteer organizations and the Boy Scouts, and that's enough for me right now, but I'd love to see everyone else's :D

Here's the Attila and Fly vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4qvMmWJWs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmD_B8ERzk

And this from a 4H friend of mine who is now training big cats, this is from when she was just starting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xDlAGNYT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3x-wwe5Eg&feature=related

Just because I was so upset from The Thread That Shall Not Be Named, I would like to see some freestyle videos of y'all and your dogs.

Well, we are nowhere near in the class of anyone whose video you posted, I thought you might enjoy seeing an old video of Speedy.

This was back when he could still do the fancy stuff like leg weaves and hind leg moves. We weren't even in Novice at this point, but it's kind of cool because it was a live demo and we had a very appreciative audience. You get the feel for what this is like when performing live.

This was a cute routine, which we ended up turning into our routine for Novice. Unfortunately, I don't have any good video of that from competition, but in a way this is more fun. That Freestyle festival was awesome!!

I'm going to try to find something more current, too, but I think this really is my all time favorite Freestyle video of Speedy.

It's great Kristine :D Thanks for making me smile.

That's what I'm talking about, just people doing things with their dogs and enjoying it. Now I'll have to see about actually videoing one or both of the routines I'm working on with Kayzie. Maybe pull Maverick out of "retirement" for another dance, which he really, really likes doing ;)

It's great Kristine :D Thanks for making me smile.

Thank you for watching it!! That was so much fun. Definitely one of my all time favorite Speedy Freestyle memories!!

Here is a more recent one - this time in the video format. This kind of Freestyle is very different from the European style, or even from the American WCFO, which is probably the best known of the American venues. The emphasis in this venue is showcasing the dog's movement and artistry. Speedy has matured and this kind of Freestyle suits him perfectly now. This was for the Musical Interpretation division and it is a waltz. So, I don't do any waltzing, it is an interpretation of the music using the dog's movement to it.

That's what I'm talking about, just people doing things with their dogs and enjoying it. Now I'll have to see about actually videoing one or both of the routines I'm working on with Kayzie. Maybe pull Maverick out of "retirement" for another dance, which he really, really likes doing ;)

I hope you will!! I'd love to see you guys!!

Here is Dean's Bolero routine. This was a practice filming (hence, I was using food).

Dean's love in dance is precision work. This was filmed a year ago and he has actually improved quite a bit. We've gotten into a lot more gaiting and we are working on a couple of things for the future.

Something I would LOVE to do with Dean is choreograph something along the lines of this style for him:

Obviously, not exactly the same, nor to copy Tina's style, but with that same kind of precision position work and the showcasing of the dog's technical skill and floor pattern.

I have quite a long a ways to go before I get anywhere near that level, though. Not sure if it will be in Dean's lifetime, but if I keep it super simple, I want to try to create something along those lines for him. I think he could do something like that really well.

I think they're beautiful.

Even the videos of just beginning or training. It shows the evolution of the dog/owner relationship and work. No one starts at the top, it takes lots and lots of practice to get there.

Kayzie's still working on her side step, Maverick's back legs really won't allow him to. The couple of times we tried were not pretty, so he does kind of a modified step. His favorites are weaves and spins, so I try to pick songs that let him do that. Kayzie is much more flowing, but in a really fast kind of way. She likes to move around the ring or stage (where ever we are) and do a few "big" moves.

nice selection!

I thought so :D I like seeing what others come up with, from the just beginning to the very experienced.

As someone whose personal vision of hell on earth includes any sort of "performing" in front of people, I find it hard to "get" freestyle. But, as someone who appreciates people who put time and effort and intelligence into training and interacting with their dogs (or other animals), I admire what these folks do with their dogs.

Some videos that I have seen on YouTube are almost painful to watch (I'm sure much of that reaction is my own personal feelings) - well-done efforts, at lower levels as well as higher ones, are entertaining to watch.

Some videos that I have seen on YouTube are almost painful to watch (I'm sure much of that reaction is my own personal feelings) - well-done efforts, at lower levels as well as higher ones, are entertaining to watch.

As much as I love Freestyle, I find the same thing.

That's one thing about Freestyle - it is highly subjective. There are rules that deal with cueing, and how many sides the dog must work on, and general rules about the need for performance attire, props, and a certain level of technical skill. Right now in Europe the trend is very strong to have routines that are very prop heavy, and there is an emphasis on distance. In one US venue, the focus is more of "tricks to music", another is more about heeling, and another is more about showcasing the dog through synchronized movement. So, there really is a lot of variation in what Freestyle can truly be.

But tastes vary when it comes to music, choreography, whether the focus should be the handler or dog, or a balance of both.

Personally, I don't care for routines where the dog is overshadowed to a degree that I hardly notice the dog, either by costume or handler movement. But that's me - others are really into that sort of thing.

I guess one thing you know going in when you perform Freestyle is that some people will like what you do, and some people will decidedly not like what you do. But it's art, as well as a sport, and to some extent the handler must be true to his or her own vision of the art, and what truly works best for the dog. That makes it really different from Agility where everyone at a given level is running the same course or playing the same game by the same rules.

One day I was at an Agility trial - this was very early on and I had been doing Freestyle a lot longer. A dog neatly climbed up on the teeter, lay down at the tip point, tipped the teeter completely, then got up and went to the bottom. Not thinking, I blurted out, among a group of people that I didn't know, "that was a cool move!!" I didn't even realize - duh, it's Agility - until I saw the very strange looks directed my way. Well, in a Freestyle routine, something like that would have made for a cool move!! But no, not something I would want my dog doing on the teeter during an Agility run!!

At the higher levels, are the routines professionally choreographed?

You know, I don't believe they are, although I can't say it never happens. I'm pretty sure Attila, Tina Humphrey, Sandra Davis, and Carolyn Scott (from the videos posted in this thread) do their own choreography.

I know some people who work with coaches who help them choreograph, but those coaches are also Freestylers, not professional choreographers.

But I can't say it never happens. We aren't allowed to hire handlers, but the organizations can't really say that one can't get help with choreography, etc.

As far as I know in the US, it is not done, or rarely done. Not sure about Europe, though.

The one thing that strikes me in most of the videos (except the very earliest ones) is that the dogs appear to be having fun. And if that's the same girl in the several early videos, then by the time she got to the Pink Panther routine, her dog also seemed to really be enjoying the dance. Not all of the routines may inspire me, but it is inspiring to see dogs obviously having fun with their people!

J.

I'll play. Besides the Attila one and of course Gin, these are some of my favorites.

And of course Pepper! My almost all time favorite. They joy is amazing! :D

There are others I cant seem to track down at the moment. Which is really annoying me!!! :angry:

Mary Rays routines fascinate me.

Here is one Crufts 2009 Mary Ray

And another one of hers from 2003.

PS: Edited to add...no one will ever see me dance...dog or not...trust me, you don't want to! B)

I know Attila got help from a professional choreographer for Gladiator because he wanted to do a very close tribute to the movie. He mentions it on his PAWS II DVD. Basically, he has the tricks he wants to do and the music picked out and the choreographer helps him put it together.

Katy is in all three. What happened there was a change in the way she trained and her confidence level. I thought it a nice thing to show because it does illustrate Katy and Shelly's progress. Her brother, Nic, is pretty good too, I'm not sure if there's a recent video of him on youtube or not. He and Jake were on one of the televised freestyle competitions a few years ago on Animal Planet and Katy was hosting. Far as I know, that was his last major dance before he went into the military.

Here's the rundown on scoring in the WFO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWR7gMgXXZ0&feature=related

Nic Massey and Jake on Animal Planet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3eX_lRaq8

I know Attila got help from a professional choreographer for Gladiator because he wanted to do a very close tribute to the movie. He mentions it on his PAWS II DVD. Basically, he has the tricks he wants to do and the music picked out and the choreographer helps him put it together.

Interesting!!

I'm going to ask on one of the Freestyle lists to see if any of the top people in this country do that. I've never heard anyone mention doing so, but that doesn't mean they don't.

Archived