BC Boards

Thanks to concerned motorist

Some times like most I use bad judgement when it comes to excersizing Bandit. I usually only walk or run Bandit when it's cool outside or in wooded/shaded area.

Today, since I was going to leave Bandit in crate from 4pm to 9pm, I decided at 2:30 pm to take Bandit for a short bike ride. I had planned to stay in shady neighborhood. About a few blocks after leaving house, a car stopped with a woman and 2 young kids in it. I thought they were stopping to admire my dog.

The woman said she lived in the neighborhood, was a veternarian, had a border collie, and did not want to see my beautiful dog injured. She went on to say that because of recent hot weather, she had dogs come into her practice with heat strokes or damaged pads on paws due to hot pavement. She apologized for interfering.

I quickly got off Bike to walk Bandit home(2 blocks). Thanked her very much for her concern and told her she may have saved Bandit's life.

Wow! What a brave woman! I mean, she didn't know you or what your reaction would be! And what a gentleman and good friend to Bandit to take the advice as it was obviously meant! Yeah, sometimes we need the little nudge to do the correct thing! Kudos to you for doing right, and to her for speaking up! Great day all around I would say!

I can understand what she was saying. When I was 13 or 14 I had an Irish Setter....I took him out for a run on my bike because that is what he loved to do.

We lived in NC and it was mid summer. I never thought about his feet and he never once pulled up or complained. It was only after we got home and sat awhile did his feet start hurting him. We were only out about 15 minutes but the pads on his feet were badly burned and he needed them treated for a good 2 weeks before he could walk normally again.

Needless to say I was in serious trouble (rightly so ) for that one.

Good for you for stopping. Even in shaded areas the pavement could still be hot from retained heat...as the sun could have been shining on it at one time but as the sun moved it became shaded...and wouldn't really think of it as a risk.

Cheers

Julie

I had a lab/elkhound-X that I took running as I rode my mountain bike. That was on city streets. In the summer I only took the dog out early in the morning when the pavement was cool from the night.

If I ever had any question about whether the pavement was too hot for the dog's feet, I tested it by putting the palm of my hand on the pavement and holding it there for about 20 seconds. If I had any discomfort at all from the heat on my hand then that meant it was too hot for the dog to be walking or running on that pavement.

Mid-afternoon on a hot summer's day is definitely too hot for the dog's feet, so I am glad you were offered some good advice.