BC Boards

What Age to Start Flyball?

Hi! I was wondering at what age do you all start training for Flyball? I tried to search for it, but since the word "age" is below 4 characters, it kept giving me an error, so if this is a repeat question, I apologize. :rolleyes:

Also, there isn't a team or club in my area. Is there anyone on here that's in the area around Northeast TN area (including the borders of NC and VA)?

Thanks!

Here's a link: recent discussion

If you haven't already done it, you might try checking the locator information at the NAFA page or the teams section at the Flyball Dogs webpage Both of those sites list tons of resources by area.

The recent discussion has several people who suggest the Spring Loaded videos. There are two & they give lots of great information about starting dogs in flyball.

Good luck!

Dana

Hi! I was wondering at what age do you all start training for Flyball?

Hi, one of the links posted above was my post asking the same question, as i was also unsure at first :rolleyes: Meg began flyball at 4 months old. She's in the puppy class at our flyball club which means all the puppies only do small jumps and training only lasts around 20- 30 minutes twice each week. Because there still young, they don't yet jump for the ball from the box, but they are introduced to the box and the noises it makes when the ball is released etc.

Meg is now 5 months old, so has been attending her flyball classes for around 3 weeks now, and absolutely loves it!! She is addicted! (And so am i hehe!) I know there are a few people who wait till the pup is a year old or so, but personally i think its up to each individual owner, and also, of course, what-ever your club does too. My club begins puppy classes at 4 months old like i say, but i know a few teams who don't allow a dog to even begin the beginner classes until a year old! I think its great for puppies though!. It not only keeps them physically fit, but also mentally, and lastly its great socilisation! They meet so many other dogs, puppies and people! Goodluck! Have loads of fun :D

Thanks, Dana! :rolleyes:

Actually, I've been talking to Ayn Robertson, the Region 14 Director of NAFA. She said the closest groups to us are in Chattanooga and Nashville, but they're over 3hrs away. She's been trying to help me locate people in my area. I thought that maybe there would be people on here that were closer. :D

Hey, Olivia! That's great to hear! I lived in Knoxville for a little over 3yrs, so I'm fairly familiar with that area. I don't have a problem traveling to compete as long as I have someone to watch my daughter, which usually isn't a problem. I wish we had a class in this area, because I have 3 dogs that could be trained for it (2 Shelties and 1 BC).