BC Boards

Intermittent Vomiting

Maralynn

Kipp has been acting just a bit "off" for a couple days - a little reserved playing ball and breathing heavy at times but I had chalked it up to some joint discomfort. But now he's also vomited 3 different times in the last 10 days. The first couple times I could blame it on something. A brand of treat that has upset his stomach in the past and he got into a bag of dog food at my uncle's and over ate one night. After the last incident (Wed night) I fasted him for a day and a half then gave him a couple days of smaller meals. Then he vomited again early this AM. Fwiw, he's been on the same food as Kenzi and she's been doing fine. He had loose stools for Thurs/Fri but normal yesterday. It's one of those things that everything on it's own hasn't bothered me but now I'm getting a little worried after he vomited again with no apparent cause. I'll call my vet tomorrow of course but any thoughts in the mean time?

Oh gosh, vomiting is one of those symptoms that can mean so many things. In the past, I have seen similar symptoms in my dogs and the causes ranged from parasites to IBD to pancreatitis to "a bug" to unknown. And there are doubtless many other possibilities. Good idea to get him in to the vet to be checked out. Hope he is back to normal quickly. Please keep us updated.

Went to the vet this AM. Kipp is still acting a bit off and has some stomach discomfort but he wants to do stuff and still has a good appetite. Everything else checked out fine and blood work came back pretty normal. So we came home with meds to settle his stomach and I'll keep him on rice and hamburger for a few days.

And tonight he had dark, tarry poop. No vomiting and he ate his hamburger and rice just fine. I'll be calling the vet again when they open in the morning.

Oh, no! Definitely call the vet first thing. Any chance the change in stool is due to the meds? Poor boy. And poor you. Please keep us posted.

Not much change today. No vomiting (yay!) but he now has horrid watery diarrhea :( His tummy is still really bothering him, tender and rumbling. The vet prescribed antibiotics and i/d food today.

His attitude is still pretty decent considering - subdued, but wants to do stuff (was happy to ride to the vet's office). And he's drinking a good amount of water.

I don't care for vomiting. Hope he gets better soon. I had a little dog vomit like crazy and have diarrhea as bad as parvo. Turned out it was a bacterial overgrowth. Anti nausea meds, some simple fluids and antibiotics, and it was all well in no time. They did exclude any kind of problem with having swallowed something?

Maralyn, ask your vet or the interim vet to test for Clostridia perfingens. It is usually thought of as the last thing to test for, but once we got Buzz diagnosed we were able to manage his episodes and avoid a lot of his suffering through them. You need to take in a fresh fecal sample.

If it is C. perfingens, there are definitely steps to take to minimize the number of episodes. I'll write more if that's his diagnosis.

Ruth and Agent Gibs

Today's update - The diarrhea is still there, but it's not watery today. He's drinking/peeing a good amount so I'm pretty sure dehydration isn't an issue. His appetite is still okay and while he's still a bit out of it he doesn't seem as uncomfortable today and I don't hear his stomach rumbling. He's been on antibiotics since yesterday afternoon and I'm giving him a couple tablespoons the I/D food mixed with water every couple hours. I'm going to give him a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin today as well. Swallowing something has not been ruled out but, due to symptoms, the vet who saw him on Mon didn't think that was the issue. Of course if he hasn't made any more improvement by tomorrow then that's the next thing on the list. I'm okay waiting 'til tomorrow right now since he seems more comfortable today, still wants to do stuff, and the fact that I'd be talking to a 3rd vet if I took him in today (and taking him to a different office since my regular vet is closed on Wednesday).

Yes, do test, especially if he gets over this bout and then gets another one. Buzz would feel really, really bad - no appetite, didn't want to play - that is what really scared me. We went through about 6 bouts in a 4-5 month period, my vet was ready to send us to an internist. I asked if there was anything else he could test for before we did that, he thought for a minute and asked me to bring in a stool sample. I'd never heard of C perfingens before, quite the eye opener.

If you do test and he's positive for it, let me know. I'll be glad to pm you and tell you what worked for Buzz.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs