BC Boards

ESP and my BC

HJTRAS

Ziggy has this uncanny ability of knowing when anything of interest to her is occurring. Does not matter how far away from the scene or how quite it is. She could be totally at the other end of the house. If it is interesting she will be there with uncanny quickness. Case in point Ziggy was at the other end of the house sitting on the porch . All the way in the kitchen my wife said watch this. A left over plate of chicken was sitting on the counter had been there at least on hour. "had not got around to dishes yet" So my wife quietly picked up some chicken on a spoon and feed it to Dezi she was laying next to my wife in the kitchen. Quite as can be. In a blink Ziggy came flying into the kitchen and jumped up to the counter where the plate of chicken is. looked at my wife intently as to say my turn. I have no Idea how she even knew Dezi got chicken. She is always doing things like this. So I conclude BC's have ESP.

Totally understanding of this! Their acute hearing, and distinction of certain sounds is amazing. Our bowie knows when "dad" is home before he's even up the drive. When bowie dashes out his dog door, its guaranteed Ill be seeing a black truck pull up within 20 seconds. But he won't react the same if it's a guest pulling up. ESP is right!

Ziggy is 7 months now and she amazes me every day except potty training ugh. I wish I had the same esp she has. Her mind is to active to care about where she poops. Pooping is an after thought of adventure and it happens wherever she thinks no one is looking. Inside or out

My mother tells me that she knows when I will be home because 5 month old Molly will start to cruise between the two doors I usually use about three or four minutes before I actually get there.

She knows when I am on the farm somewhere because Molly will just keep a "light eye" out for me, checking every once in a while. When I am off the property, she stops to listen periodically and can tell when I have arrived back - well before she "should" be able to.

If I come back to the property and do not come straight to our house, she starts to insist on being let out, even so far as pretending she needs to pee. Naturally she cannot be counted on to do anything but make a beeline for wherever she thinks I am.

They figure stuff pretty quickly:

running water and the sounds of coffee being made mean crates will soon be opened/ dogs let out for the morning business and they do not make any disturbance until they hear the click of the coffee machine ... and then they start with the "good mornings"

she knows the sounds of the salmon oil bottle (yummy! - go to food dish, a snack is coming), the crinkle of the special kong filler bag (yummy! - go to crate, you can only have kongs in a crate!), the sound of the Ritz cracker box being opened (yummy! - follow that, maybe you can get a crumb!), the sound of the Triscut box being opened (boo! they taste crappy and hurt your mouth, don't chase those!), the sound of a new kleenex box being opened (yay! you might get the old one to tear up like a lunatic!) and so on.

I bet some of you have read "Dogs Who Know When Their Masters Are Coming Home". It's a scientific study someone did with careful double and triple blind tests with dogs who know when their people are coming home. They had the dog's person receive instructions by phone or radio to start to drive toward home, then turn and drive away from home, then turn back and come toward home, and so on At the same time, there was someone keeping track on the dog in the home, recording the exact times and his or her behavior. The dogs would get excited when the person ( a couple of miles or more away) was headed home, and then go lie down again when the person turned and drove away. It's fascinating.

Before my partner died last summer, my dogs always let me know when she was about to arrive at the house. They would do the "she is coming!" noise, and I would look out, and no one would be there. But about 2 minutes later, she would arrive. I live in a rural area near the end of a dead end road, where there is no traffic unless someone is coming to one of the 4 houses at the end of this dirt road. The dogs had to be able to tell she was coming before she turned onto the dirt road, while she was still on the highway.

Totally understanding of this! Their acute hearing, and distinction of certain sounds is amazing. Our bowie knows when "dad" is home before he's even up the drive. When bowie dashes out his dog door, its guaranteed Ill be seeing a black truck pull up within 20 seconds. But he won't react the same if it's a guest pulling up. ESP is right!

Yes. My old lady Papillon does that, I think she hears his truck when he makes the turn before he turns into our street because she will alert me he is almost home a good 3 minutes before he pulls in the driveway.