BC Boards

excessive mouthiness - positive approach?

MnM

Hi MnM

My Juno is 11 months now and I have been using this forum since January. Over those months I have got some great advice from a lot of the same people that have given you advice. I have used a lot of their suggestions and Juno is a lot better. At one point, however, I really wondered whether I should have gotten another type of dog. I was working with Juno a great deal and it always seemed like 3 steps forward, two back. Anyway, what I have learned is that I am a very inexperienced trainer. If I could start over I am sure I could do a better job by taking all the suggestions and using them where and when appropriate. These days I find myself doing a little of this and a little of that depending on the circumstances. I didn't have the skill to do this earlier. Nevertheless, Juno is doing really well and improving every day. I think maturity (Juno's and mine) has been a big factor and in many ways I think her progress has been despite my efforts. The one thing I have been very consistent with is that I have been mainly positive with her but with mild corrections where and when needed. We still have a long way to go, even at 11 months, but one thing is for sure and that is Juno is a happy dog and a pleasure to be with. As I have mentioned I am a total beginner so my comments don't carry a lot of weight but I do think you will find over time everything will work itself out. And this forum will be a great help. Some of the people (and their dogs) on this forum are truly amazing!

Good Luck

Bill