BC Boards

Soaking Dry Dog Food

ClickMeBC

I'm looking for opinions here - lately I've been trying something new: Soaking the dogs' dry dog food in order to allow it to expand before it gets inside them. They seem to love it this way and devour it much quicker than they originally did. I'd read previously that this was a good idea, and though it looks unappetizing to me, they seem to enjoy it and I'm able to visualize their real intake amount. Does anyone else do this or are there any thoughts as to whether this makes any other difference?

I'm looking for opinions here - lately I've been trying something new: Soaking the dogs' dry dog food in order to allow it to expand before it gets inside them. They seem to love it this way and devour it much quicker than they originally did. I'd read previously that this was a good idea, and though it looks unappetizing to me, they seem to enjoy it and I'm able to visualize their real intake amount. Does anyone else do this or are there any thoughts as to whether this makes any other difference?

I do it and have been doing it for years, for the exact reason you described. It think it makes a lot of sense that it's better for the kibble to expand in the bowl than in the stomach. Bloat scares the hell out of me.

I do it for my older dogs, because they have terrible teeth. The upshot of this is whenever I put the kettle on, at any time of day, they go a bit mad thinking they are going to get fed.

My 2yo dog, on the other hand, is such a piggy that if I made it easier she'd look like a basketball with legs, so she gets hers in a bowl dry with some big rocks to work around.

What bothers me is that it makes me hungry, when it is sitting there on the counter, cooling off. It smells good. Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Small Bites. Yummo. :rolleyes:

I was thinking what Eileen said about clean teeth. I suppose an alternative would be soaking the food but also providing bones or something else hard for chewing.

I feed dry, with a raw egg or canned fish added (so the meal isn't precisely "all dry") and make sure to avoid vigorous acitivity for at least an hour afterward.

Whatever works well...

As Sue said, a nice knuckle bone does wonders for teeth cleaning.

Oh, and I also heard from my nutritional guru friend ( :rolleyes: ) that adding really hot water is not such a good idea, because it may affect heat sensitive nutrients.

I don't soak my boys' food, but Pith and Reece get theirs floating in about an inch of water. For Pith, it's to slow him down a little because he eats faster than the other two and then wants to pester them while they finish. With a little water in his bowl, he finishes about at the same time as the others (Kodah eats SLOWLY, at least in terms of my dogs).

About a year ago, Reece started having trouble keeping down dry food. Nothing seems to be wrong medically, but if I give him a bowl of just plain dry kibble, he ends up throwing bits of it back up as he's eating. Best conclusion is just that he's eating it too fast. Honestly he seems to eat at about the same speed with water in his bowl, but he doesn't choke on his food that way. Win for him since it's obviously easier on him, and win for me cause then I don't have a dog puking on my floor. :rolleyes:

Really...if I were just going to soak down their dry food, I don't know that I'd bother sticking with dry. At that point you might as well just feed canned food since you're not getting any of the advantages of dry anymore.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I, too, add water to my guys' bowls but do not let the food soak. They eat it immediately afterward. Since they all eat so fast, it's for much the same reason as BayouBC mentioned. Plus, it's just an extra measure for keeping everyone well hydrated, especially in hot TX summers.

Thanks, I appreciate everyones' input. I've been trying it out for the several reasons mentioned - bloat, hydration, plus they seem to enjoy it so much more, for what reason I'm not particularly sure, other than perhaps it enhances flavor. :rolleyes: As far as teeth go, I do give them nylabones, which seem to work really well. I guess I'll continue to try this out for a while as it seems to be working for them. I've been having a hard time finding the right diet but Nutro Natural Choice seems to do the trick....and it looks like they love it soaked! :D

I think it has some teeth cleaning properties when eaten dry, which are lost when it's soaked first. I also think bloat is pretty rare in border collies, assuming they are not fed immediately after or before vigorous exercise.

I never thought about raw egg before, i bet dogs take to that pretty damn quick...

I soak about 25% of Dylan's kibble and mix it in with the dry - oh, and some is used for kong stuffing. He loves it and it definitely makes him more enthusiastic about his dinner. ( He is on Canidae ). I just prepare it the night before by putting cold water in it and stick it in the fridge. In the morning it is ready - no boiling kettles and tortuous waiting while the smells waft around ( I used to to that ! ). But I should say I do let it come up to room temp' before giving it to him ( actually I stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds ! )

I don't soak kibble, but like others have mentioned, I do serve it with plenty of water in a "kibble soup." My reasoning is that if I provide plenty of water for digesting, then the gut doesn't need to pull liquids from elsewhere to digest the kibble. And it does make sure that my dogs are well hydrated. But they still get the teeth-cleaning benefit of cruncy kibble too. And I also add all sorts of "top dressings"--canned dog food, canned fish, fresh eggs from my chickens, lamb meat from my sheep, etc.

J.

I'm just paranoid about bloat having seen too many dogs owned by other people - not bc's, go into bloat and die. Never had an issue with bloat, but it still scares me, especially with my deep chested dogs.

I must admit though, hydration plays a major part in the reason I pour warm water over their kibble.

Brings back memories. We always gave my childhood dogs a raw egg a day each, along with the squashed-up eggshell. They loved it. Haven't thought of that for years. . . .

I do that frequently. A friend of mine gives away free brown eggs from her chickens as long as you bring the carton back! When I get those, I give each dog a crushed up egg with shell with their meal, or as a separate snack.

my mom cooks chinese food for my lab and mixes it with her dry food. It's usually stir fried pork and carrots/celery or beef stew and the occasional potsticker :rolleyes: in the evening and all dry food in the morning.

Is she available for adoption?

Your Mom, I mean, not your Lab.

:D

Guest WoobiesMom

:rolleyes: I lost my beloved Airedale Terrier to bloat and it scares the begeezus out of me as well. I think I will definitely give this a try!

I do it and have been doing it for years, for the exact reason you described. It think it makes a lot of sense that it's better for the kibble to expand in the bowl than in the stomach. Bloat scares the hell out of me.

One other question: does anyone think it's possible that soaking the food could cause diarrhea, simply because of all the extra liquid?

Fwiw, I don't soak it till it's mush, I just soak till the individual pieces are soft enough for my geezer girlies to eat it easily...it retains it's shape, it's just soft. I don't have any trouble with runny tummies unless they find a "bonus" meal out in the fields somewhere.

Someone asked what the benefit was, if you are doing soaked kibble vs tinned food...for me that answer is, less stink, and less recycling. I don't have to wash the cans and keep them until the next recycling trip. YMMV. : )