BC Boards

Daily feeding amount/weight gain

I have a 7 month old intact male border collie who only weighs 20 lbs. He was 16 at 4 and 5 months (no weight gain) and then 20 from 5 to 6 months. He just turned 7 months and has not gained any more weight so far. He's about 17 tall at the shoulder and very petite. He is mostly just legs.

He eats 2 cups of taste of the wild kibble per day, and I usually mix in yogurt, canned food, shredded cheese, ground beef, etc. Just to add some variety to his meals.

My question is, does his lack of weight gain seem unusual? He is smaller than any other border collie I've seen and still looks about 4 months old.

Should I be feeding him more?? I checked the feeding amount on the bag just to be sure I wasn't horribly underfeeding him, but it looks about right. He could be eating 1/4 cup more I think.

Both of mine put on the brakes, as far as growth is concerned, between 5 and 8 months and then very slowly increased weight to their current adult weight. Both of mine were between 30 and 35 lbs at that point and one matured to about 40 lbs, the other just turned 1 so he'll put on a little more and might mature at about 42 lbs. Feed according to body condition, not what the bag says. If his ribs feel like the knuckles on a closed fist, then I would increase his food. Otherwise , no. It is healthiest for your pup if he has slow controlled growth, which means keeping him thin until he is mature. Remember Border Collies come in a huge variety of sizes, so weight doesn't really mean anything without some qualifier. He may always be a small BC. If he is, watch out, the small ones seem to have the most speed.

What is his breeding? Or parents like? Or what about siblings?

Some lines throw midgets border collies? Also sometimes looks can be deceiving. I know some border collies that were wisp that turn out to be 19-20". They weigh less than my 17" border collie and they just seem tiny.

And I was also gonna say maybe feed more?! My puppy is getting fed twice that amount and is still a stick. I fees him as much as he will eat.

Cut out the extras that you add in. That does nothing but make for an unbalanced meal and a picky eater. He doesn't need them. Ask your vet to do a BCS. He should be around 4/9 at that age. If he is lower, feed him more. If he is higher than a 5/9, feed him less.

Umm, his parents looked pretty average to me. I don't know their weights or anything, but they weren't small or very lean.

I can't feel his ribs unless I apply pressure. His hips and shoulders are really bony though.

If I fed him as much as he wanted he'd probably attempt to eat the entire bag of food. :P/>

If you can't feel ribs unless you apply pressure, no need to add more food. BC's do come in all sizes. My 13 month old male is 22 inches and 40 lbs. My friends 18 month old male is probably only 16-17 inches tall, was very small when he was younger, but is filling out now. However, size doesn't matter much, both dogs do just fine on stock.

Chloe weighs about 36 pounds, but they come in all sizes. I know someone who has a three year old BC who only weighs 25 pounds and is a healthy weight. So I would say as long as you can't feel his ribs, then he is probably alright. He may just end up being a smaller than average border collie. (Personally I like them smaller! For so many reasons. :P )