BC Boards

Cracked/Broken Teeth

I found a hunk of tooth on the floor this morning, and matched it to the stump in Hoot's mouth. He's broken his incisor next to his right canine clean off at the gum line. I thought perhaps he did it on his kennel in the fireworks, but there's no damage to the kennel. I think he actually cracked the tooth crashing into a fence post on Monday, and it broke off today. He's eating normally fr him, which is infrequently and on his own schedule. Acting normally, doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. Soonest I can get him to the vet is Monday or Tuesday.

I talked to the vet this morning, and they mentioned extraction. I've had two people (who use the same vet as I do) tell me that their dogs had broken teeth that did not have to come out. Apparently, they sort of heal over. Anyone have any experience with this? I could do without a huge vet bill right now, and having Hoot out of commission will delay a much-needed move for my market lambs.

Thanks!

Ideally the tooth should be extracted because its open to the root pulp. When the pulp is exposed, bacteria can go up it and cause an abscess at the tooth root. It can also be sensitive/painful although dogs typically hide that. However, it is also possible it will heal over without becoming infected...you never know which way it will go. I tell clients they have 2 options - extract it now and not worry about it, or keep an eye on it and if it becomes infected later, then extract it then. If its just an incisor, it shouldn't be too hard or too expensive to take out (where I work I would estimate $150-200 with most of that cost being the anaesthetic and drugs). I also wouldn't expect it to keep him out of working other than the day or so recovering from anaesthetic.

Craig had a front incisor bashed out by a horned scottish blackface ewe who didn't think Craig should be looking at her lamb. It broke off pretty deep. I called the vet and they offered to knock him out and remove any fragments...the bill was going to be several hundred dollars. Since it wasn't bothering him, I decided to wait and see. It has healed completely over and looks healthy. I check it from time to time in case it becomes infected.

I've had dogs with teeth broken off at or near the gumline, and they went years (until they passed on from other causes) without any adverse issues. And we had our old Mac, who finally had a slab-fractured molar blow up with an abscess (and that and its mate on the other side, similarly-fractured, were both removed).

My gut feeling is to leave it and keep an eye on it. I've seen quite a few dogs with teeth broken like that that never seemed to have any infection or problem, and an occasional dog that has really needed an extraction. I think that general oral health may play a role, and highly recommend bones and raw meaty bones to help keep the teeth clean.

Good luck with it!

Absolutely no useful advice from me, but maybe some reassurance that it's not usually a big deal to be down a tooth or two... my parents have an Aussie/black lab mix that has literally eaten two doors. One was a metal screen door, so as you can probably imagine she has zero teeth left. Somehow she still managed to gum one door down after that. In her case, the vet said since she apparently could still eat solid wood and there were no signs of infection to just leave it alone. Termite puppy has been toothless about 5 years, is now 14 years old and still going strong. My mother wants to buy a new door (again) but won't until said termite-dog dies. My mom is convinced that dog is going to live forever just to spite her. Lesson learned: don't let your dogs taste door...once they do, they'll be door killers for life.

Some dogs won't let you know that they are having a tooth issue, so if you don't get it extracted make a habit of checking it regularly forever. Tooth infections can allow bacteria directly into the bloodstream and dogs do die from them. But as long as you keep an eye on it, you can safely take a wait and see approach.