BC Boards

Food- At the end of my wits with this

My first puppy was food obsessed too. Got her at 8 weeks and brought her home. Went to feed the older dog and the puppy barreled in there and actually went after the adult dog to get her away from the food. I was 16 and didn't really know what to do so I started putting a leash on the puppy to have control over her and made her wait while the other dog ate and then she got to eat hers. After a few days of the leash stopping her when she tried, she stopped trying to get the food and would patiently wait until the other dog was done.

Second puppy is my hubby's aussie. He is also food obsessed. We started having him wait to get his food - the first few times had to physically block him from it until he sat and once he did that, said ok almost right away and let him go. He's got a very very good wait for his food. He ate in his x-pen for a long time.

Third puppy not food motivated. She is 3 now and will eat it all right away now, but the first year was a struggle. She still eats in a crate although the door is not locked shut anymore.