BC Boards

Food- At the end of my wits with this

I searched the forum a bit didn't really find what I was looking for. My pup is about 4 months at this point. 90% of the time we have a wonderful time. The last 3 weeks have been rough for both of us as my partner left, not just town, the country. So I've been juggling our now two dogs, 12 year old BCxCorgi and then our BC puppy, school, work, and friends. This is the last week of this crazy schedule, goes back to normal on Sunday. Hurray!

So anyway, Tyrael, my pup, wolfs down his food. He's like a vacuum, I've tried scattering it, putting it in toys, putting something in the bowl he just goes absolutely mad for food. He's not underweight or underfed and there's no food aggression... I can put my hand in the bowl, take the bowl, put my fingers in his mouth even while he's eating and he doesn't bite. But he is completely fixated! If I take his food away he charges my senior dogs bowl and shoves his way in.

Today he had finished his bowl and tried to dig into hers. She's too nice and stepped aside. I yanked him out and held him away from the bowl and told him no. He had totally crazy eyes for the food and kept trying to dart for it. I hauled him off to his kennel so he could have a little safe zone time out but he fought me to go in. Full on flailing trying to bite my face, arms, fingers whatever he could get his little needle teeth on. He squirmed out once almost made it back to her bowl before I finally got him in. Once he was in the kennel he immediately settled down and laid down.

How can I stop this behavior! It is completely unacceptable. My partner's parents have a beagle who does this. She's 7 and it is a nightmare to deal with. We're working on the wait command with his food but it's like he stops hearing anything as soon as the food bowl is involved. Help please! I'm going a bit mad over here.

We've been doing the "It's yer choice" thing with treats. He is sorta getting it. It's pretty hit and miss. Could I do this with his food? Just cover the bowl and until he sits and calms down he gets nothing?

Just make things easier on yourself- feed him separately. In his crate, another room, wherever. Your other dog should be able to eat in peace too. Let the pup out when the older dog is done. No need to get stressed! :)

You can stuff a kong with his kibble (and some water) and freeze it. That definitely slows the eating down.

It sounds like you've got two issues going on. The food issue (and I agree to feed him in his crate) and it sounds like he might be over tired. Young pups act out like crazy when they get too tired.

This. Molly's just now growing out of the stage where she gets super tired and loses her ever loving mind and any hint of impulse control or self-control. She's something like 22 weeks old now and until maybe 2 weeks ago she would just MELT DOWN if she didn't get enough sleep.

Also feed everyone here in their crates. It's easier, it keeps them loving their crate and prevents issues. I do impulse control and training stuff with food and treats, but meals are in crates, with doors closed, for everyone's sake.

I guess we'll go back to feeding in his crate. He was really good about eating with her for about 2 weeks then it's just fallen apart. So we'll try that for a bit again.

If he's over tired should I just put him in his kennel at certain points so he can nap? If I just let him be he instigates playtime with Kasha.

Another question, is it counter intuitive to crate training with him that Kasha never goes in one? She was never crate trained and still doesn't need it. She's like... a dream dog.

Yeah, definitely pop him in his kennel to nap if he starts acting out of control. It'll give him a chance to gather himself at least, and probably he'll pass out.

I do use crates for all of my dogs at various points, and make sure they're comfortable in them for things like overnight at the vet, possibility of being on crate rest, and travel, but on a day to day basis some of my dogs have earned the ability to be crate free. My 3 older dogs are never in them, really, outside meal time.

Molly and the GSD mutt are still crated more. Molly will probably graduate from her crate before the GSD mutt. Nothing wrong with that. Fair isn't doing the same/giving the same for everybody, it's doing what's RIGHT for each individual.

Kasha is comfortable in a crate she just never really needed it. My mom was really good at potty training her. She slept in the bathroom at night. I'm 23, Kasha is 12 so when we got her the training was on my mom. Realistically Tyrael is mine and my partners first puppy that was 100% ours to train. Border Collie may not have been the best choice but we're committed now and we love him. He's so smart there's just times when it's too much. Thanks for the response on the crate!

Other than stuffing his food into a kong with some water, anything else I can do to slow down eating? Concerned about twisted stomach/bloat in all honesty. My first dog got hit by a goat, the trauma caused bloat in him. Only 2 years old :(

Have you tried tennis balls in his food dish? If you don't want to purchase anything special you can poke a few holes in a pop/water bottle big enough for kibble to fall out then feed him using the bottle. Not only will it slow down him down, but it will challenge him as well.

They also make special food dishes to slow down eating or even a puzzle toy that slowly dispenses kibble.

I bought this for my puppy:

http://www.chewy.com/dog/dog-games-flower-slo-bowl/dp/56309

That is the flower design, but if you search chewy.com, there are also 2 other designs from the same company.

It has worked for my purposes. I estimate that Kiefer Hoovered his food down in about 10-15 seconds from a normal bowl, but it takes him at least 90 seconds or more when using the Kyjen Slo Bowls.

If we want our pup to eat slowly we just spread out the food on the floor. Simple enough. Sometimes on the carpet or in his crate blanket too, because he can't see it as well then so it becomes more of a scenting game. We tried sticking objects in his bowl but they didn't slow him down much.

And yes, seconding the impulse control. Aed typically doesn't even get his food until he can sit calmly with it in front of him until I release. Very useful.

Interesting discussion about the over tired issue. I've never experienced this with a pup until my BC pup that I have now. She is almost 16 weeks-tomorrow- and she does not stop if I have her out. I've even remarked to my husband that she reminds me of my grandson who will start acting out when he is tired!!! lol So for the last few evenings, when she just starts looking for things to get into repeatedly, I put the leash on her and tell her to settle down. The first night, she was quite mad that I had restricted her but she eventually laid down and relaxed. Last night, she settled down right away and actually stretched out and went to sleep!!!

Tonight for dinner the food itself was back to normal, Both dogs usually get TotW dry kibble with about a table spoon of wet mixed in. Started as the only way we could get our senior dog to remember to eat, now it's just spoiling them a little. I had run out though and between school and work no time to get more. Now we have more!

Fed Kasha as usual but kept Tyrael's bowl in the kitchen after I set hers down. He zoomed out for hers, caught him before he got it and back into the kitchen. I sat on the floor with him, covered his bowl until he was sitting nicely uncovered, he darted for it, tried covering again he got it after about 5 minutes. Finally sat pretty and waited patiently. I noticed with the wet food on his kibble though he was eating much more leisurely. He didn't wolf it down. I actually heard him crunch the bits every few bites!

As for overtired I'm 100% certain thats the case. Tonight he was bouncing off the furniture! Zooming from one end of the living room onto the recliner powering off then crashing into the couch. Just back and forth back and forth! I got him to settle a bit, we went outside he did his business, doggy party, and then came in and he started getting into stuff. Stream of toilet paper flying out of the bathroom behind the dog... funny sight but not ok. Put him in his kennel. He was resistant again had to give him a little push. When he finally went in he started whining and barking! Felt like soooo much regression. After about 30 minutes he finally settled down. He's all conked out now. A friend of mine said he might really be wanting to run. It's been raining the past couple days so no park time. He may have a bit of cabin fever.

thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it! Now who wants to help with sociology homework! :D

It's normal for a pup to be ravenous when they are growing rapidly and I agree with the advice given.

I would just add though that the OP may have exacerbated the situation by messing with the pup's food while he is eating and even taking it away. If someone took away your dinner plate before you had finished would you not try even harder to keep it or eat faster so as not to lose it?

All dogs should be left in peace to eat, pups included.

Interesting discussion about the over tired issue. I've never experienced this with a pup until my BC pup that I have now. She is almost 16 weeks-tomorrow- and she does not stop if I have her out. I've even remarked to my husband that she reminds me of my grandson who will start acting out when he is tired!!! lol So for the last few evenings, when she just starts looking for things to get into repeatedly, I put the leash on her and tell her to settle down. The first night, she was quite mad that I had restricted her but she eventually laid down and relaxed. Last night, she settled down right away and actually stretched out and went to sleep!!!

This is how you teach a puppy to settle in the house and have an off switch. Good for you!

I completely agree with all of the above advice. The methods are tried and true! I'd just like to add that my pup was OBSESSED with food, he'd do ANYTHING to get it. But he hit right around 6 months and all of a sudden his food drive really changed. I think it was a combination of him growing up, and the fact that he had began to live alone. As soon as I moved back up to school, he no longer felt the need to wolf down his food and then steal the other's. He realized that he could leave it and nobody would touch it. So I wonder if crate training would possibly settle him down a touch.

Good luck!