BC Boards

What size airline crate for puppy?

What size (and brand) airline crate do you recommend for puppy 8weeks and up?
I have a larger wire crate for teen-adult years.
But I need a proper size crate for potty training and puppy times. :)

I haven't had puppy in a long time. And never a border.

Thank you.

( I scanned forum, could not find a relevant post addressing topic)

How big is your pup and what do you mean by "puppy times"?

Why an airline crate?

My pup is 15 wo and still fits happily into a 24 x 18 in base wire crate for sleeping but friends have bc pups that were at least as big as he is when they were 8 weeks. I borrowed the crate from a friend who has terriers as it will be needed for such a short time.

Do you actually have a pup coming or are your questions hypothetical?

Border collie pups vary widely in size and grow at different rates so one size crate may be adequate for one but not for another.

And you need to provide more detail on how you want to use a crate if you want an answer.

What do you want from me? What details will help my question?
Also, It has already been answered.

"My pup is 13 weeks old and still fits 24X18...but friends have pups that were atleast as big as he was at 8 weeks."
AKA get crate when getting puppy.

I ask questions for any quick advice some experienced people may have on the subject. And if I happen to have a tip for another owner, I will give it then. If I cant get any nice tips or pointers that I do not already grasp, then oh well.

I am not here to chat about things like why I have certain preferences, or why I want a specific kind of crate.

What do you want from me? What details will help my question?

Also, It has already been answered.

"My pup is 13 weeks old and still fits 24X18...but friends have pups that were atleast as big as he was at 8 weeks."

AKA get crate when getting puppy.

I ask questions for any quick advice some experienced people may have on the subject. And if I happen to have a tip for another owner, I will give it then. If I cant get any nice tips or pointers that I do not already grasp, then oh well.

I am not here to chat about things like why I have certain preferences, or why I want a specific kind of crate.

OK - so you want an answer to a question about suitable crate size without giving a clue as to how long the pup is likely to spend in it and what you are trying to achieve in particular.

The answer you will get will differ depending on your intentions and we are not mind readers.

Also it seems odd to specify an airline crate then say you have a wire crate for later (unless you specifically need one to ship a dog by air).

You will be more likely to get a useful answer to any question if you think before you ask and give all the relevant information to assist those you are asking for help in giving you advice appropriate to your own situation. Throwing advice around without knowing the facts is hardly responsible.

You are asking us to give our time for your benefit. The least you can do is try to be less snarky or you may well find that no one will bother.

Honestly, it sounds like you are treating this puppy as some super magical rare thing because it's a border collie. It isn't. It's a puppy, and being a border collie changes nothing in the fundamentals of raising. It gives you other things to watch out for, knowing the instinct gives you things you can use to train, but it does not change what you buy, feed, or use for equipment. WHAT YOU WANT IT TO ACHIEVE does change things, and you're not telling us that.

The size of the puppy and how long you intend to use it before moving up will determine size of airline crate - as will whether or not you intend to use it for flying with the pup either now or later. You CAN use a wire crate from go, just section it off so the puppy doesn't have too much room. Otherwise, Molly stayed in 22X16" crate for a while as a baby. Then moved up to 24" X something I forget what.

Honestly, it sounds like you are treating this puppy as some super magical rare thing because it's a border collie. It isn't.

Not even a border collie can live up to unrealistic expectations.

I have a long wish list of things I might like to do with my pup but if we don't for whatever reason so be it. The only really important thing is that he grows into a well rounded, sociable and happy dog.

Agility superstar would be nice though.

My typing has been read in the wrong context.
I can see how my straightforward response could have been taken the wrong way, now that I read it with a purposely aggressive tone in mind.
But I promise you, i am not being snarky, nor do I have an attitude.
I am an adult with a busy schedule. I take bits of seconds between my activities in my day to check forum posts, messages from other handlers, or clients for work. ECT.
I tend to be extremely rushed and it leads to dry, quick questions, quick answers, that are straight to the point. With no interest in feeding into nonsense, or addressing anything that isn't 100 percent relevant to "solving the problem".

Though I bet I will not need to come back often, I do not want to have any issues with any users on this forum. I will take the time from my day to sit down. Enjoy my night, now dedicated to online posts, and read all posts on this thread. And answer and address all questions or issues.

I like airline crates. I use them a lot. I work at kennels, breeders, I also groom dogs. I use them at all my jobs and personally prefer them. They are easy to wash out, and to keep clean. Plus most dogs I have worked with enjoy being covered. And with a airline crate you do not need to cover. Plus you can travel with an approved crate if ever needed. List goes on.
I have a larger wire crate for when dog is older. Simply because it is available. Meaning I wont have to buy another crate. Money saved on one thing is great money saved for another dog related need.

I am on breeder list for puppy. My puppy has not been born.

I do not see where any posts I have made would lead on to believe I think this puppy as some magical rare thing. Or that my expectations for my puppy are too high. Just to conform, I have a few friends over who have proof read my posts, and no way do any of my posts make them believe I have too high expectations, or think I am to treat this puppy as a magical rare thing because of its breed.

My puppy's first crate will be using first crate for crate training. And along with a xpen, will be used to confine puppy especially when I am not available to monitor puppy.
What I was curious about, was what size to buy for my puppy's first crate. But as the first person to answer my question confirmed, a crate should be bought when puppy is coming home. As border pups vary in size.