Ugh.

diane

#3 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

^^ :lol:

I wouldn't wish such hard times on anyone, but it's good (sarcasm) to see that he's still milking it for all it's worth.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#4 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

Don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

Good grief.

Even at the "lowest" point, he still had and has unimaginably more than 90% of the people on this planet will ever have.

For him to feel sorry for himself is.....well.....yeah, where's the barf emoji?

But from him, I wouldn't expect any better.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#5 Shetlander

Shetlander

Life is a beach.

• Registered Users
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

I'm not a big fan, but I don't hate him. Suicidal depression is an awful thing.

Liz

#6 terrecar

terrecar

Sheepdogger Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

I'm not a big fan, but I don't hate him. Suicidal depression is an awful thing.

^^This. Thank you!

ETA: Having said that, all I need to know about the mans training methods, I saw in a Boston Terrier and pig video. No thank you.

#7 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Suicidal depression is horrible and Im empathetic to people who have suffered with it. It must have been especially awful for his child who found him.

That said, to me it is telling that he feels that hes never done anything wrong IRT the way hes worked with dogs in the past. We all make mistakes with dogs and some of his are on video. If thats what he thinks, then I dont need to hear anymore about his future plans.

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

#8 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I've not replied to this post because what's already been said has been pretty much what I would say. However, his statement that he tried to kill himself ~ I'm having some trouble taking that at face value.

I don't trust that man, like many others here. He's a performer, and I wouldn't put it past him to have lied about a suicide attempt. 

If Milan truly did attempt to kill himself, I hope he's getting help for those issues. It's a terrible thing to leave your loved ones with those memories. I know this from personal experience.

Still don't trust him, will never trust him. His 'empire' crumbled, and he shows up on a tv show and talks about his difficulties, which include a suicide attempt? Convenient. It's also strongly possible he's trying to re-vitalize that 'empire'. That interview might be the beginning of another one.

I don't have cable tv, and I don't follow Milan on any social media. And won't. Wouldn't surprise me, though, if he manages a resurrection. I'll continue to use common sense in my dealings with dogs. And people.

Ruth & GIbbs 

#9 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,745 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of Millan either, but like several above, I hope he's getting help to recover from his suicide attempt.  I posted this video because the man is often discussed here, and I thought some would be interested. 

While I wouldn't take my dog to him, he's not all bad.  I was very disappointed that National Geographic glorified him for so many people.  (I blame Rupert Murdoch.)  But National Geographic is a name which has cred for many people - as in, it was on Natl. Geo.; must be good.)  Strange how people could credit the Natl. Geo. with any good dog training authority.  But then people often take training advice from vets, who, in my opinion usually know zip.nothing about training. 

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#10 Donald McCaig

Donald McCaig

Geezer

• Registered Users
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:28 AM

Dear Doggers,

Some years ago I was hired by National Geographic to write an article on dogs. We quarreled and the article was later printed in the Bark and reprinted in A Useful Dog,¨ but I did travel to many doggy places that interested me on their dollar.

Whilst we were still friendly, their TV arm wanted to talk with me so I sat down for an hour with an executive producer. Later, he asked for a lengthier consult and I said, "Sure. Here's my rate."

I was chided by my magazine editor: I was 'expected to cooperate."

I replied, "Sure. When we have a contract."

Looking back: they were planning what became "the dog whisperer."

I am - was - a sheepdog trainer not a pet dog trainer and am nowhere near as gifted as Cesar Milan (Yes, I've seen him work.) I could never have headlined that show.

But it's not hard to understand how a brilliant, unsophisticated dog trainer might have forgotten the freelancer's motto:

"Do freely for love. Never work for free."

Donald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.