BC Boards

Chew proof (puppy proof) Harness

We were introduced to the harness by our wonderful trainer, that can be hooked at the back or at the front which works great for training our 4 month old BC to walk and not pull. Unfortunately the one my wife purchased for Gina lasted a full 30 minutes thanks to razor sharp puppy teeth.

Is there such a thing as a easy on - off harness that is chew proof. It also doubles as a safety harness when in the car.

No in the car, she is such a layed back pup you would not believe! A great traveler, hope to make our trip to Florida in Feb.

We put the harness on, never thought about chewing.... it lasted a full 30 minutes. I have another brand ordered so this time we will be more attentive. I must say they work great when taking walks.

Your post made no indication how long you might or might not have left it on but it's better to give an unnecessary warning than to wish we'd given one that we hadn't. You did say you used it as a car harness and that's a time you might not have your eyes on her while she us wearing it.

A crate is a much better, safer, alternative in the car. (Disclaimer: I use dog seat belts and I know they are not the safest option.)

No in the car, she is such a layed back pup you would not believe! A great traveler, hope to make our trip to Florida in Feb.

We put the harness on, never thought about chewing.... it lasted a full 30 minutes. I have another brand ordered so this time we will be more attentive. I must say they work great when taking walks.

Honestly, if you can fit a crate in the car for her, I'd recommend it. Not because she's bad in the car, but for her own safety. Soooo many dogs are lost every year when people get in car accidents. If you get rear-ended or T-boned and your pup gets scared, she could fight or chew her way out of a harness before you know it.

A harness will not secure a dog if you get hit, if windows break, if first responders have to open the door to help you. The safest place in an automobile for a dog is in a good, sturdy plastic crate. Not wire, either - those can crush and the welds break and become knives. Something to think about, anyhow.

But again, no harness is chew proof. Darn it! ;)

~ Gloria

Honestly, if you can fit a crate in the car for her, I'd recommend it. Not because she's bad in the car, but for her own safety. Soooo many dogs are lost every year when people get in car accidents. If you get rear-ended or T-boned and your pup gets scared, she could fight or chew her way out of a harness before you know it.

A harness will not secure a dog if you get hit, if windows break, if first responders have to open the door to help you. The safest place in an automobile for a dog is in a good, sturdy plastic crate. Not wire, either - those can crush and the welds break and become knives. Something to think about, anyhow.

But again, no harness is chew proof. Darn it! ;)

~ Gloria

A crate also prevents the puppy from becoming a flying object in the car that hurts YOU. Dog safety is important but you also don't want to be slammed by an eventual 35+ lb dog at car crash levels of force.

A crate also prevents the puppy from becoming a flying object in the car that hurts YOU. Dog safety is important but you also don't want to be slammed by an eventual 35+ lb dog at car crash levels of force.

Yes, this.

If the dog does go flying and hits the driver, it can be the difference between preventing the accident or not.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I agree with the suggestion of a Lupine harness. Or anything. They guarantee their stuff against chewing. And I know it is not for the life of that dog. My brother's third dog in a row chewed - and the item was replaced - at least 30 years after purchase (maybe longer).

Second, a crate in the car is not necessary if you have a good harness for the car. One that hooks into the seat belt. Heck, I used similar stuff for our 3 kids back in the 1970s - when car seats were plastic, hung on the back of a seat. and had a plastic steering wheel.If you use a crate, you still have to secure it somehow or the whole thing will fly in an accident. I run the seat belt through the handle of the cat's crate.