BC Boards

Shedding

Do your BC's shed an extreme amount? I don't know if it is because my girl has a really thick undercoat or if this is just a trait of BC's but I can literally stroke her back and have a handful of fur. I brush her every day and it is still pretty bad. I've talked with a couple other BC owners and they say their dogs don't shed that much at all so I'm wondering if this is just her coat type or it is characteristic of the breed.

I find fur everywhere and in everything. I only buy black and dark grey dress pants because otherwise my coworkers will see that I'm always fluffy.

We regularly brush out enough to make a second full sized dog.

I also get asked if Callie is a chow mix because she's so poofy, especially after grooming appointments.

That sounds like a lot of shedding if you are brushing daily. How old is your girl? Has she always shed that much and does it ever get better? What type of brush are you using? Have you consulted a groomer about the best way to groom her? Could be lots of things such as blowing the undercoat, allergies (environmental or food), a health issue. Bathing will help loosen up fur and reduce shedding. Undercoat rakes can help.

Quinn is nine and last fall went through extreme shedding for no reason I could determine. I was finding hair everywhere. Since his coat looked so healthy otherwise, neither his regular or chiropractic vets were concerned. I had him groomed professionally three times and brushed daily instead of the 3 times a week I usually do. He kept shedding heavily. Finally, after over 4 months the crazy shedding stopped. He has little to no undercoat left (I was surprised he had any coat), but his fur is gleaming. The groomer said dogs sometimes just go through a major coat change. I never saw anything like Quinn's Big Shed with my other dogs other, than going from puppy to adult fur.

Casey is 9 and she has always shed like this. I use a furminator for the initial brush and then a shorter metal brush to finish. It is generally a little better in the summer after she sheds her winter coat. I haven't contacted a groomer but that is a good idea. I've sort of learned to live with it (lots of lint rollers ;) but just didn't know if it is common to the breed. Thank you for the great advice!

The worst shedder in our house is my terrier, followed by my hound cross and my mongrel, with the two collies bringing up the rear.

I could groom the terrier several times a day and it would make no difference. In Spring and Summer the hound gets the occasional brush with a rubber grooming glove. The mongrel just gets stray tufts of undercoat pulled out and I rarely do anything with the collies. Whether I groom them or not makes no difference to the amount of fur in the house.

They are all pretty short coated.

I did used to have a very hairy collie cross with a very dense undercoat but he didn't shed as much as you'd think. I used to think the fur bunnies in the house would reduce considerably once he died but there has been no difference.